starting strength gym

Thread: Older trainees and rebuilding

Default Older trainees and rebuilding

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Current Body Weight: 198.6 lbs / 90kg as of 20170115
    Current programming: Old man recovery advanced novice two-day-a-week (Roughly 3C as in The Barbell Prescription)
    Caloric intake: ~2300 a day, 150g Protein, 119g fat, 150g carbs average weekly (roughly 30 P/45 F/25 C)

Sitrep
    I've put on about 10-15 lbs I wasn't meaning to starting before the holidays, but I'm also running out LP again after yet another layoff. Definitely not happy with how I look overall - I don't care about cut abs at all, but feel like I'm 'doughier' than I should be.

Questions
    Given the clothed pictures below, should I be concerned with the bodyfat I'm carrying? And if I should lose fat, should I maintain while on the rebuild and cut after?

[Note: I figured my question would end up here anyway]

I think this is more about how you feel, than what you should do.

So, in case there's room for feeling better: Can you fit a weekly metcon into your life? Start simple with something like 8 sled/prowler intervals.

Is your weight currently stable, rising or falling?

You are on a 2 day program, so there might be a bit of leeway to add in some more work. Walking vigorously for an hour three times a week would alter the balance without knocking you out. Then again, if you're able to take it, you can do some kind of HIIT.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Is your weight currently stable, rising or falling?

You are on a 2 day program, so there might be a bit of leeway to add in some more work. Walking vigorously for an hour three times a week would alter the balance without knocking you out. Then again, if you're able to take it, you can do some kind of HIIT.
    Weight's currently stable; I already walk about an hours a day five day a week to ans from work for about four miles a day.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    Weight's currently stable; I already walk about an hours a day five day a week to ans from work for about four miles a day.
    Guess you're going to have to push a prowler to work and back.

If your weight is stable and your lifts are increasing satisfactorily, then it should sort itself out.

I notice from your log that you are doing seated presses. That might be omitting a bit of ab work there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Guess you're going to have to push a prowler to work and back.

If your weight is stable and your lifts are increasing satisfactorily, then it should sort itself out.

I notice from your log that you are doing seated presses. That might be omitting a bit of ab work there.
    Yea, not by choice; ceiling in the basement is far too low and there's too much hanging copper pipe to work around.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    Current Body Weight: 198.6 lbs / 90kg as of 20170115
    Current programming: Old man recovery advanced novice two-day-a-week (Roughly 3C as in The Barbell Prescription)
    Caloric intake: ~2300 a day, 150g Protein, 119g fat, 150g carbs average weekly (roughly 30 P/45 F/25 C)
    I think the Calories are a bit low;
    moar protein;
    switch some of the fat cals out for moar protien & carb cals (more carbs, less fat).
    119 gram of fat x 9 cal = 1071 calories from fat per day? approx. half your entire daily total? don't seem right.

Build muscle. Going to need moar carbs to fuel HIIT + WeightTraining.

Do the HIIT thing, its the only thing that marginally worked (working) for me for BF loss.
    I'm going thru a very slow protracted recomp...if that's the right term.
    But there is progress at least.

Any kinda LISS never worked at all, for me, ever (even when I was 25 y.o.).
    The walking to work ain't doing jack for fat loss IMO. Maybe useful for recovery moreso than the fat loss.

(me?: 45 yo; 215#; 5'10"; maybe 15-18% BF; real low-ish T . . . but no TRT for me, just yet)
    (the struggle is real)
    Last edited by MBasic; 01-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.