starting strength gym

Thread: Golfers elbow and grip training

Default Golfers elbow and grip training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

1. Do you think grip training, say with Captains-of-Crush grippers, helps or hinders the cure of golfers elbow?

In another thread about chins, I think you warned that a too-tight grip could exacerbate golfers elbow. Since that resembles grip training, I might have my answer already, that grip training can hinder.

I've had a nagging case of golfers elbow for months (IIRC: been so long since pain free that I've forgotten). Weekly intensity/weighted and high volume chins (three days apart) haven't alleviated it. I'm going to space them out so that volume and intensity are on alternate weeks.

2. Any advice for the chin programming? Latest intensity day was 2 sets of 11 + 40# followed by one set of 5 + 45#; the last set felt strong, with chest to bar. Adding 1#/week. Volume day has become 10 sets of 12, with 3-5 minutes rest between sets. Until now, volume was on Saturday, and Intensity on Tuesday. As mentioned above, plan is to alternate these weekly, just on Saturdays.

Thanks for your time and attention,

Vince

(48 yr, 5'7", ~ 190lbs)

Default Golfers elbow and grip training

Self,

Should've taken this to Andy.

Self

(I am not surprised I landed in Rep. Inquiries. )
    Last edited by VNV; 01-15-2017 at 06:35 PM.

There's a recent thread on chins for tendonitis on the Q&A. http://startingstrength.com/resource...ondylitis.html

Low intensity absurdly high volume seems to work, but I've never heard of someone doing weighted chins with medial epicondylitis. Haven't seen it recommended either, so I'd drop the weight if it was me and focus on doing absurdly high volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    There's a recent thread on chins for tendonitis on the Q&A. http://startingstrength.com/resource...ondylitis.html
    Excellent link. I recall that thread, but forgot about it ... and didn't search.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    didn't search.
    Booooo, VNV. Boo ban. Booooo. Booo.