starting strength gym

Thread: Skinny Fat

Default Skinny Fat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Mark,

I am 17 years old, weight 163 pounds and 6,2 height. As you can see i am skinny for my height, but i also got fat on low stomach and low back...
    I want to start your program, but i am afraid of gain more fat. I think that i cant go in calorie deficit, because i cant go more thinner then my current weight. I would like to have at least 176 pounds and i think that your program is nice way to get at that weight. But as i said, i am afraid of gain more fat.

Sorry for my awful English.

I would like to hear your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by skktj View Post
    Dear Mark,

I am 17 years old, weight 163 pounds and 6,2 height. As you can see i am skinny for my height, but i also got fat on low stomach and low back...
    I want to start your program, but i am afraid of gain more fat. I think that i cant go in calorie deficit, because i cant go more thinner then my current weight. I would like to have at least 176 pounds and i think that your program is nice way to get at that weight. But as i said, i am afraid of gain more fat.

Sorry for my awful English.

I would like to hear your opinion.
    You're young. Stop worrying about anything other than eating and getting strong. When you weigh 240, squat 500, pull 600, and press 250, then you can worry about your belly:

Maybe You Should GAIN Weight | Mark Rippetoe
    Last edited by crookedfinger; 01-18-2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling error

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

You currently have little lean muscle mass. That is why the fat around your belly is obvious.

Now think about what would happen if you put on 25 lbs of muscle. Will that fat be as obvious?

If you focus too much on "losing fat" when you are already underweight and undermuscled, you're immediately setting yourself up for failure. When you start cutting back your food because you're terrified of adding a little fat mass as you're lifting, you're immediately setting yourself up for failure.

Lift. Eat...like, multiple times what you eat now. Don't set some arbitrary weight limit that you pulled out of your ass...just let your body do what it needs to do to keep the numbers on the bar moving up. (Also for what it's worth, 176 lbs at 6'2" is still significantly underweight--so that would be a terrible stopping point.)

You can definitely succeed, and even get more aesthetically pleasing in the process, as long as you don't sabotage your own goals by focusing on stupid shit. You can't worry about remodeling the kitchen before you build the house.

Guys, thank you so much!

Brodie speaks the truth, listen to him young one.