Thread: 19 - Low Back Issue (Video)

Default 19 - Low Back Issue (Video)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I will get straight to it and provide videos:

1-2 Training Sessions Before Issue Squat (320 X 5):

Training Set Directly After Beginning To Feel Tightness/Pain - 325 X 4 (occurred on second set, here is the third):

1-2 Training Sessions Before Issue Deadlifts (360 X 5)

Training Set Directly After Squats Day of Injury (365 X 3)
    Deadlift - 365 X 3 (AI) - YouTube

I have an online SS coach (just for the past two months) who has helped me get my deadlift up 70lbs and my squat up about 20lbs. Everything has been moving along fairly well until a week ago. On Wednesday last week, my form severely broke down on my 4th rep of my second set (I wasn't recording) when I lost focus and ended up with a loose core and a crunched back. I continued training (videos above). I could feel something was off so my form on both my squats and deads was altered. I should have stopped training immediately after squatting but I tried to push through and get my deadlifts in. Once the workout ended I did some light hamstring stretches and laid on a medicine ball. After standing back up my back felt severely compressed (specifically on the left side).

To make a long story short: I tried to light squat on Friday with a belt and it felt horrible. I got a twinge of pain in my stomach and so I called it quits. The weekend went by and Monday night it began to really bother me. A physio comes into work most Tuesdays and he took a look. He told me not to worry about a herniation (no radiating pain, no sciatica) but that I most likely strained it. Per his orders, I only did upper body work all of last week and avoided anything and everything that puts weight on the spine (including sitting which still aggravates it). I just saw him again today (after front squatting Monday) and he told me to get in there with a lacrosse ball and leave it for another week (no more front squats).

This is my first real, "injury," in that it actually becomes a bit of a chore for me to bend down to tie my shoes. I also have to be pretty careful when I'm lifting weights off the ground at work otherwise I feel it get more intense. My online coach wanted me to go right back to lifting without taking time off. Should I ignore how I feel and try to work through the pain? Should I go get an MRI despite the physio telling me I do not need one? What can I do besides the Mackenzie protocol and lax ball rolling to get it back to normal? Should I give it another week (2nd week of recovery) and then see? Should I attempt to start the Starr protocol? If so, how can I differentiate between pain that I should push through versus pain that will cause reinjury? I apologize for the long post and I really do appreciate you reading thus far!

Thank you,

Tom
    Last edited by tjt564; 01-24-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Starr Rehab method.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Starr Rehab method.
    Thank you Lex, I started the Starr Rehab method two days ago! I'm planning on doing 65 for my 3 by 25 tomorrow. Should I also be doing using the method for deadlifts? Or should I just lay off deadlifts until I am back to squatting regaular weights again?

I appreciate the assistance and I apologize if these are all repititve questions!