starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why do you criticize sumo deadlift as cheating the ROM but promote LB squats?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Late-comer newbie here... I'm reading a difference in the problems being discussed. Some people are talking about using a lift in competition while others are talking about strength training. The two are very different goals.

People should definitely practice sumo and see if it benefits their leverages for competition. However, SS being a strength program needs to emphasize strength. What this means, from a practical perspective is that sumo concentrates the stress on similar musculature as the squat and thus over-trains certain muscle groups. This could mean progress may slow sooner on the squat (recovery), but more importantly, there are large muscle groups which are ignored in this style of strength training.

If your exercise selection for strength training is squat, deadlift, bench and press then you must prioritize the conventional deadlift over sumo in order to stress the posterior chain.

If your goal is to compete, and you're able to pull more using sumo, then you should probably be training BOTH. Especially the further you are from competition.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Late-comer newbie here... I'm reading a difference in the problems being discussed. Some people are talking about using a lift in competition while others are talking about strength training. The two are very different goals.

People should definitely practice sumo and see if it benefits their leverages for competition. However, SS being a strength program needs to emphasize strength. What this means, from a practical perspective is that sumo concentrates the stress on similar musculature as the squat and thus over-trains certain muscle groups. This could mean progress may slow sooner on the squat (recovery), but more importantly, there are large muscle groups which are ignored in this style of strength training.

If your exercise selection for strength training is squat, deadlift, bench and press then you must prioritize the conventional deadlift over sumo in order to stress the posterior chain.

If your goal is to compete, and you're able to pull more using sumo, then you should probably be training BOTH. Especially the further you are from competition.
    Listen here, Mr BBB, if you're going to fit in here you're going to have to learn how to unnecessarily over complicate everything because, as we all know, lifting weights is science, dammit. You and all your common sense crazy talk had better get with the program.

Everyone can benefit from training the different Deadlift Variations. They help build each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Is there a "scientific" way of looking at the ratio of someone's arms/torso/legs to know if they should pull sumo or conventional based on bone structure? Or is skeletal anatomy not a big consideration?
    Check this out:
    Choosing Conventional or Sumo Based on Your Bone Structure / Elite FTS

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    Listen here, Mr BBB, if you're going to fit in here you're going to have to learn how to unnecessarily over complicate everything because, as we all know, lifting weights is science, dammit. You and all your common sense crazy talk had better get with the program.
    Yes, sir! What's the prescribed set x rep scheme of head against the wall for optimal progress?

Assuming the stuff linked from Elite FTS is "scientific", I have long arms and a short torso, which means conventional for me. So good, no need to try and learn sumo. My "torso" would be considered a lot shorter if I didn't have such a long neck.

Yes, sir! What's the prescribed set x rep scheme of head against the wall for optimal progress?
    I'll let you know as soon as I find a study to tell me what my opinion is.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by deeprooted View Post
    You have pretty much demonstrated you have no understanding of the basics. If bar travel "makes no sense as a criteria" for ROM in the squat you should just stop talking before you embarrass yourself any further.
    Aren't you the one who was trying argue that the ROM is the same for both squat variations because the bar ends up in the same spot according to the pictures? Ha! And you tell me I have no understanding.

Could I get an actual "expert" to explain the discrepancies the book? How come Big Rip stopped replying?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456