starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you criticize sumo deadlift as cheating the ROM but promote LB squats?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by TSF View Post
    Hip Travel obviously.

The picture on the left has to move the barbell more distance than on the one on the right.
    They look like approximately the same height from the floor to me; given my n=1 experience that I could squat more weight low bar than high bar, wouldn't that mean the low bar squat would drive up strength more?

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    They look like approximately the same height from the floor to me;
    I agree,

. . . just trading out knee flexion for hip flexion.

Quote Originally Posted by greywar View Post
    Maybe you should read the book.
    There's only one small section on the high bar squat that comes down to (paraphrased) "low bar uses more hips." Nothing on the range of motion being sacrificed. Perhaps you can give a more direct answer? Other than "read the book" of course.

They look like approximately the same height from the floor to me; given my n=1 experience that I could squat more weight low bar than high bar, wouldn't that mean the low bar squat would drive up strength more?
    Seriously? The same height?

Give the n=1 experience of myself (and many others), I could lift more weight using a sumo stance than a conventional stance. I'm not disputing that one can lift (slightly) more with low bar. I'm asking why the same standard (sacrificing ROM for more weight) isn't applied to the deadlift.

Seriously? The same height?

The bar's distance from the floor, genius.

The bar's distance from the floor, genius.
    Put on your reading glasses. I said hip travel, not bar travel. Even if it were measured by bar travel, you do realize the bar in the "HIGH bar" squat would start up higher, right? Or did you forget the difference between high bar and low bar squats? In other words, the bar would have to travel longer in a high bar squat to end up in the same position as the low bar squat in that picture.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I'm asking why the same standard (sacrificing ROM for more weight) isn't applied to the deadlift.
    What are the criteria that Starting Strength uses for choosing a movement? Why might properly-performed high-bar and low-bar squats use different ranges of motion based on these criteria? Why might Starting Strength prefer a conventional deadlift over a sumo deadlift based on these criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    What are the criteria that Starting Strength uses for choosing a movement? Why might properly-performed high-bar and low-bar squats use different ranges of motion based on these criteria? Why might Starting Strength prefer a conventional deadlift over a sumo deadlift based on these criteria?
    I'll give you a hint; the answer begins with effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I'll give you a hint; the answer begins with effective.
    Bullshit, it's all based on what Rip prefers.

Not true about it being impossible to stay tight with high bar squats because the torso is more vertical, meaning the lower back wouldn't round after a certain depth.
    I never said it's impossible to stay tight, I said it's impossible to stay AS tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post

Someone should really tell hitler that Joseph Pena, a kid, squatted 1005 using the SS model

starting strength coach development program
    SS is a strength training program. Not a powerlifting program. It's not designed to teach you how to lift 700 pounds with a rounded back. There are no tricks or techniques that are solely about lifting more plates.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast