starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expected results for average novice male

Default Expected results for average novice male

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What kind of numbers can you expect to get at the end of a novice phase for the average joe (relatively young male trainee, around 5'10, average vertical jump)? Assuming they do the program as its told, are not underweight and sleep enough.

I'd like to know cause I tend to complexify the program with periodization when my progress stall, like most people do I assume. But the problem is most likely not the program if my numbers are far from the expected results for someone with my profile.

Young man, there's no need to feel down. I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground. I said, young man. There's a need for the search function.

Young man, there's a place you can go. I said, young man, when you're short on your dough. You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay in the SS community, it's fun to stay in the SS community. They have everything for you men to enjoy. You can hang out with all the boys...

etc etc

To translate Scaldrew's post, this has been covered before numerous times. Up in the top right, you will see the button "search forums". Use it for any and every question you may have, because there is a high likelihood it has been answered already.

Do your fives, add weight every session until you can't and do the fucking program. Where LP ends is where you can't add every session.

I just dont wanna move on to more complex programming if the novice linear progression for my profile (male, 5'10, under 30, average vertical) still seems to have quite a bit of room for improvement. With a low/average/high standard it would be easier to judge if im not nearly or getting at my full novice potential. I guess what im trying to say is that im sure Rip and other SS coach have certains numbers that they feel 99% confident to reach at the end of the novice phase with someone like me under their coaching. I mean what good would an intermediate program do if my diet, sleep habits, technique, etc, arent on point.
    Last edited by Oliax; 03-03-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Find your bodyweight on these tables. Add 2.5% for every year under 30 years old you are. Subtract 1% for every hour of sleep under 8 hours you average per night. Multiply that by the ratio of your average daily calories to 4000. Subtract 0.5% for every 5 grams of protein you consume under 1.5 grams/lb of LBM. That should get you in the ballpark of training level +/- 0.6667%.
    Last edited by Adam Nelson; 03-03-2017 at 09:41 AM. Reason: not srs

Quote Originally Posted by Oliax View Post
    I just dont wanna move on to more complex programming if the novice linear progression for my profile (male, 5'10, under 30, average vertical) still seems to have quite a bit of room for improvement. With a low/average/high standard it would be easier to judge if im not nearly or getting at my full novice potential. I guess what im trying to say is that im sure Rip and other SS coach have certains numbers that they feel 99% confident to reach at the end of the novice phase with someone like me under their coaching. I mean what good would an intermediate program do if my diet, sleep habits, technique, etc, arent on point.
    Nope.

If an experienced coach was watching your every session, they can predict when your novice progression will stall a session or two in advance. They can preemptively switch you, one lift at a time, to intermediate programming to avoid a true stall.
    They do this based on training history, body-weight gain, bar speed, etc. It's an art they learn over years of watching many trainees.

But I don't think a coach will make a 99% prediction about what some lifter will achieve in 4 months or 6 months without ever meeting them. It's too variable.

A novice generally *can't* predict when they will fail -- they tend to underestimate themselves and switch to intermediate too soon, or be over confident and fail hard. The latter is better, because you learn something about yourself.

There isn't a number. Everyone is different. If we weren't, we'd all be lifting X weight after Y time. If you're doing the LP run it out like you're supposed to, making necessary changes like you're supposed to until it doesn't work then do something different.

I feel like I am going to fail every time now, 1 set in, but then something funny happens, I get 5 reps across 3 sets.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliax View Post
    There is no magic number. There is no number that qualifies you for having done the program. There is a crystal clear end to the novice LP that is explicitly defined in the book. (Hint: It is not a number)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast