starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Widest legal bench grip?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    I don't think this would fly under current IPF Rules:
    Yes, that was how I read the rule-book, too - however I'd heard something (from a reliable source) that made me think this rule had been "updated" or clarified in some way...if I come across anything I'll update this thread but until then, yes, scratch what I said!

Also, technically, it doesn't have to be index finger on the marking; or rather, it is possible to get away with it. I have read from a couple of lifters who have found how to get enough of the skin between index and thumb on the mark to go beyond index. Seems excessive, but if it gets you a pound...

If you're gripping so wide that you have to worry about your index fingers not covering the IPF designated markers, then you're either equipped or insanely huge. I'll assume you're not an anomaly and thus would recommend that you instead think about a narrower grip.

I see far too many people gripping wide and either doing bodybuilding style bench presses (i.e. close to the neck, not touching the pecs with the bar) or causing shoulder impingement (by touching the bar to the pecs).

A good place to start is 1.5x the distance between your acromion (these are the bumps at the ends of your clavicles right over the rotator cuff). Measure that with the tape measure, multiply it by 1.5 and that will be the distance between your index fingers on the bar. When you lower the bar, the bar should be touching the lower sternum, usually just below the nipples. As you develop the bench press you can deviate slightly.
    Last edited by BBB; 03-19-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    If you're gripping so wide that you have to worry about your index fingers not covering the IPF designated markers, then you're either equipped or insanely huge.
    Or really tiny. You see quite a lot of successful smaller lifters using a wide grip, perhaps because they get a relatively greater reduction in ROM.

e.g.
    Women Open, 47 kg - World Classic Powerlifting Championships 2016 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    Or really tiny. You see quite a lot of successful smaller lifters using a wide grip, perhaps because they get a relatively greater reduction in ROM.

e.g.
    Women Open, 47 kg - World Classic Powerlifting Championships 2016 - YouTube
    Watched the video, many girls actually have a normal grip. The one(s) that grip that wide, you'll notice will still bring their elbows in and pivot their fore-arms out. This is not advisable and would be considered bad form for training. Competitive powerlifters do all kinds of things with their form, but that doesn't mean we should imitate it.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    When you lower the bar, the bar should be touching at around your sternum/nipples. As you develop the bench press you can deviate slightly.
    I lower the bar to bottom of my pecs. Shoulders feel happy there. Any higher with heavy weight and things don't feel so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I lower the bar to bottom of my pecs. Shoulders feel happy there. Any higher with heavy weight and things don't feel so good.
    Woah, glad you quoted me... didn't proof read! I meant to write at the LOWER sternum, right below the nipples. Edited, thanks

starting strength coach development program
    I try not to bend my elbows, bringing the bar to right below my hips socket. Makes for a hell of a moment arm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12