starting strength gym

Thread: SS with herniated Disc

Default SS with herniated Disc

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    4 years ago I herniated a disc in my back and was incapacitated for about 2 years. The only position that didn't hurt was lying down on my stomach. I think it was so bad because I let myself get very weak by avoiding anything that could hurt my back. Having fully recovered, I decided to start starting strength about 2 months ago. Everything was going great until last Friday when I felt a pop in my lower back while doing beltless squats with 280lbs. The funny thing is I was doing 100lb more weight on my deadlifts with no problems. I did everything I could to reduce swelling and keep mobile by popping tons of Advil and stretching my back. Today I resumed my ss workout with a belt and feel pretty good. I just want to say that I think staying mobile and strong is key to dealing with back pain. I also think that wearing a belt is a good idea for anyone who has had a history of back injury.

There are a lot of threads here about back pain and a bunch of conflicting information and viewpoints. I don't even think Mark really understands it very well from reading some of his comments about recovery. Genetics play a big role in how prone you are to back injury and the fact is some people will be more susceptible than others. I see people deadlifting 500lbs with rounded backs and no problems but when I squat 280 with very minor butt wink I hurt myself. Be careful with your form and buy a belt. Herniated discs never fully recover. The swelling just reduces and the pain subsides. The discs don't get much blood flow and it is important to get blood in there by working your lower back.

Mark writes about butt wink in his book saying it is caused by hamstring flexibility issues. After some research online I've found that there are actually two perspectives on the issue. 1) hamstring flexibility The "Butt Wink" Squat Flaw (What Causes It and How to Fix It!) - YouTube
    2) hip socket depth. Squat Biomechanics and "Butt Wink" - YouTube
    After stretching hamstrings every day for the last 2 months with not butt wink improvement I am beginning to think the hip socket thing might be correct.

I'm prone to low back episodes also. Generally it happens when I let my back round during squats, I'm much less likely to hurt my back deadlifting.

A belt helps, but mostly it's just a matter of knowing how to keep your back in extension, and remembering to do so.

99% of people can squat correctly w/o rounding their lumbar spine with coaching alone. No stretching or hip surgery required. Do you have a coach?

No coach. Next workout I will try to get a video of my squat form. I am 22 years old. 6'2'' 210lbs. I took some depth out of the rom last time a lifted which I think helped a lot. Felt much more solid out of the bottom and still broke parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by catkeson View Post
    No coach. Next workout I will try to get a video of my squat form. I am 22 years old. 6'2'' 210lbs. I took some depth out of the rom last time a lifted which I think helped a lot. Felt much more solid out of the bottom and still broke parallel.
    If you want good advice re: your squat, go to the "Starting Strength Staff Coach's Q&A" and read the sticky about how to make a video that's useful for online coaching.
    Then post a request for a form check with your video on that forum.

Like most people here, I know a good squat when I see one, and can spot form flaws on video.
    But a real coach does that and *also* knows which flaws should be addressed first, and what advice is most likely to help you.
    I'm not a real coach.

2 years! I feel so bad for you, man! I was on my back for (only) 8 weeks and it was horrific. And, yea...the worst thing I did was not move.

Mark knows his shit about back injuries.

There's a podcast you should listen to. If you've already heard it, do it again. You'll find it summarized and linked to in this post in my log .

Everyone will tell you to get to an SS coach. I think this especially applies to someone with a chronic back problem.

Good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Here is a form check link for me. Herniated Disc Form Check