starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam Roller on legs

Question Foam Roller on legs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm curious what the benefits/detriments are of using a foam roller on you legs? Is there any need? From my perspective it's not the same as stretching, but I could be wrong.

There is no need to foam roll. There is no need to stretch. There is only need to warm up by lifting the bar, and then adding weight to the bar in increments. If the gym is at least 65 degrees, that's all you have to do, unless you're middle aged. Then warming up with a stationary bike or rowing machine would make things go much smoother.

Having said that, I have had success in using a form roller on my legs in the absence of a sports massage, which would be about 1000% more effective. My right quad gets tight. I know it's tight because it burns during my warm ups, and then doesn't go away before it's time to squat. So, I lay my leg down on the roller on the right spot. I know it's the right spot because it will hurt like crazy. Then, I wait. Gradually, the leg quiets down, and I can go squat. This works if you can completely relax the leg. I do not roll out my legs like they are dough.

Nick,

Was that 285 I saw on the dead lift bar tonight? You'll soon be pulling 300. I pulled 405 tonight. I have no doubt you will catch me soon.

P.S. I quit the foam roller long ago. I'd rather be lifting.

It can feel nice. So far as I know, that's the only proven benefit. Do it if you feel it helps you and doesn't waste too much time, otherwise don't bother.

Eric Lilliebridge seems to be going at his legs between his sets with a little handheld roller. He even says it helps him get all his PRs. You could probably chalk that up to placebo effect, I don't understand the science behind it.

Eric Lilliebridge - 1045lbs Squat - YouTube

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I foam roll legs for about 2 minutes in the morning and about 2 minutes before any lower body work. When I don't do it, it seems more likely that I will get a flare up of pain/tightness from an old adductor pull, but that's just me.

I like the yoga balls because they are more specific. They seem to loosen the tight spots in my muscles. I feel better when I use them. They must do something because when I neglect them and then come back, my muscles are sore! It takes a few sessions to loosen them up again.

I use a foam roller and lacrosse balls for helping relieve tension in various muscles. I like to roll my back and legs like they are dough before lifting (for only a minute or two) because it feels good. I get lots of "pops" out of my lower back doing this, and it seems that my legs feel better during my squat warmup doing this.

As far as stretching goes, I never do it. My warmups are my stretches. I used to do tons of stretching all the time (swimming up until high school, a couple years of jiu-jitsu), but I don't think it's worth my time anymore. If I can do normal activities and complete the main lifts, why bother getting more flexible?

starting strength coach development program
    Just try that shit. If you feel like it's working, then it's working in the sense of that's how the placebo effect works anyways, through doing something you yourself grant some significance.

I've tried foam rollers in the normal spots over some months, the only place I've found benefit is in my upper back and between my shoulders, therefore I do that now and again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast