starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "strength" training for F1 drivers.

Default "strength" training for F1 drivers.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know Americans rather drive 500 left turns but I justed wanted your guys take on this. It pertains to strength training so figured you might have a go at it.
    The newspaper just made an article about our young formula 1 driver (max verstappen) and his off season work out. Preparation for the upcoming season, faster cars, more g.force in corners etc. Article is in Dutch so I don't think its worth posting but I'd find it kinda interesting. Seems there's again so much mis understanding with regard to "training". I'd justed wanted some insight from you guys on this if you will.

1. Arms. 2 hours of turning the wheel. > pull ups and dumbbell exercises. Light weight lots of reps, results in strong "agile" muscles

2. Neck. 5g (5x times normal weight in corners??) > planks with the head resting on a bench.... Or a harnas with cables which can be pulled upon, mimicking race circumstances.

3. Legs. 100kg brake pedal force, plus quick deceleration of the car > super weird machine, can't exlain. No squats anyway

4. "core". Has to be strong and flexible. > balance exercises with bosu ball (4real), push ups, kettle bell swings and deadlifts. No regular deadlifts because kettlebel requires more balance and therefore trains more muscle. Caption, not to heavy because training is focused at getting stronger, not."wider".

5. Cardio. Average heart rate is 170 in race. > cycling and running interval sprints.

This is just translated from the article. I can point out some flaws (ie deadlifts), and their definition of variabeles are poorly understood, but this kind of preparation probably requires some out of the box thinking.

Question I suppose, imagine this was a client of yours. What would you guys do / do different. Caveat is that these people cannot get to big, for obvious reasons (weight and spacing in the car)

Just reckoned you guys might find this interesting.

I'm an American that only watches F1, World Rally, and a little NHRA.

*Edit* Not cars, but I forgot my favorite racing... Moto GP !!
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 03-25-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I'm an American that only watches F1, World Rally, and a little NHRA.
    I used to watch F1 and a little WRC. F1 got really boring.

Question I suppose, imagine this was a client of yours. What would you guys do / do different. Caveat is that these people cannot get to big, for obvious reasons (weight and spacing in the car)
    Yeah, I don't know how much of a strength requirement there is beyond just what they develop from testing and racing. Like you said, these guys can't get big. Schumacher used to have a helmet with weights attached to it to make his neck stronger, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I used to watch F1 and a little WRC. F1 got really boring.
    Love watching WRC. That's some damn fine driving there.

I have hopes for F1 this year. Maybe.

I usually follow WEC and Australian V8 Supercars.

I wish NASCAR had more road courses. Far more fun, imo. Also, they don't race in the rain. Why? Every other motor sport races in the rain. Motorcycles race in the rain. WTF, NASCAR?

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    *Edit* Not cars, but I forgot my favorite racing... Moto GP !!
    Motorcycle racing is criminally underrated on this continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nermin View Post
    Motorcycle racing is criminally underrated on this continent.
    The "Doctor" finished 3rd in the first Moto GP race of the season. (he's my favorite)

Shug, I used to fantasize about getting Ben Spies off his damn road bike and teaching him how to Press. His shoulders were so weak they'd dislocate during a hard sneeze and thus ended the career of the last world-class motorcycle racer the US will produce for a good long while.

The g-loads in F1 are tremendous and I take nothing away from the men who can manage them lap after lap while placing the car where it needs to be with uncanny precision. However....they're also fond of allowing people to believe the drivers are holding their heads vertical against those 5-g cornering loads, that they're holding themselves off the steering wheel under the braking "G"s, etc. In reality their helmets are leaning against the cockpit fairing, they're wearing a neck brace, and their seats are reclined enough that that braking forces are absorbed through their butts, not their arms and chest straps.

Now, World Rally Championship guys.....oof. That's a Hoss, right there.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah man. Those rally guys can effin drive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast