starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check (Severe Scoliosis)

Default Squat Form Check (Severe Scoliosis)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    ******REPOSTED IN TECHNIQUE FORUM. NOT SURE WHY IT ENDED UP HERE THE FIRST TIME***

Hey Guys. First time post....former Florida boy coming at your from Auckland New Zealand.
    198 lb Male, 5'11" (would prob be 6' without the crooked back)
    127.5 kg (181 lbs) squat.
    You'll notice my belt is at an angle and the bar always leans to the right on my back...I blame on back as well.

This 3x5 session I was keeping my head up a bit to try to keep a tighter upper body. As a result my gaze came up a bit...it felt real nice but it was also a change to get used to.

Squats:

And for interest...here is my back xray from a couple months ago:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Lee F. Stewart; 03-29-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Congrats on getting strong despite a crooked back! I'm pretty kyphotic myself, I sympathize.

I notice your weight shifts forward at the same time your knees come in at the bottom. Those are faults to work on. Your feet are wider apart than usual, dunno if that's important.

Hopefully you'll get an actual coach to look at this video, see *all* the problems, prioritize them, and offer you the best coaching cue for your most important problem. If so, listen to them, not me.

Hey mate, thanks a lot. Yeah I agree....I wasnt sure if the slight knee wobble at the bottom when I am coming up was a biggie or not, but in this vid for the first 3 reps I spied my heels coming up just slightly at about the same time. I was appalled! The foot distance I just kind of worked on until it felt comfortable. Appreciate your time!

Did you mean to post this in the "Repetitive Inquiries" subforum, or did it get moved here? This is generally where "bad threads" go to die - ones with questions that could be answered by searching. I think you'd have better luck posting this in the Starting Strength Staff Coaches Q&A subforum (http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum171/) or the Technique subforum (http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum155/).

I also have severe scoliosis, so I'm interested to hear what feedback you get. Best of luck with your lifting!

Certainly did not try to post here. I was trying to put this in the technique forum. Not sure why it was moved? Should I try to re-post?

Hey lurch,

The knee cave in the video seems excessive. I would recommend narrowing your stance slightly and dropping the weight to focus on really driving your knees out.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Mate! I re-posted this to the Technique forum and your comment was confirmed by Mia (SSC). I narrowed my stance and dropped it to 90Kg to practice. My left hip area tightened up and is being a bit of a bitch...but the crooked back has always caused that side to hurt (ish). Will just work through it and tell it to stfu. I've had 4 workouts now at narrow stance and I dare say I am beginning to LOVE it. I think I can feel the Hamstrings tighten up more so that I can generate a better bounce out of the bottom.