starting strength gym

Thread: which belt for a beginner?

Default which belt for a beginner?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Sir,
    I'm a beginner lifter from France (40 years old, 1,78m, 75 kg, deadlift one rep max: 110kg, squat one rep max: 90kg). I've read your book "basic barbell training" and i've seen your videos. It helps me a lot.
    I'm about to buy a new belt. But I'm wondering if I should get two different belts, one for the squat (4 inch) and one for the deadlift (2,5 inch) or one for all lifts (3 inch from Best Belts)?
    If the best option is to get 2 belts, i'll get them. If it's not worth it, I'll get just one.
    I thank you in advance for your reply.

May be worth it to get a special belt for deadlifting, but this certainly isn't true for everyone. Maybe get a cheapo 4 inch belt to test it out and upgrade it a little bit later down the line. I still use my cheapo €20 belt and, though I would lift better with a 2.5 inch on the deadlift, I make it work with the 4 inch. Nobody really needs a wardrobe filled with belts, but it can help a lot to have special belts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    Nobody really needs a wardrobe filled with belts, but it can help a lot to have special belts.
    I couldn't disagree more. /joking

OP, at 5'10", you will probably be fine with a 4" belt unless you have an unusually short torso.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. /joking

OP, at 5'10", you will probably be fine with a 4" belt unless you have an unusually short torso.
    I'm five foot seven (170cm) and can use a four inch belt for squats. My n=1 on belts and deadlifts is it didn't matter much.