starting strength gym

Thread: What am I doing wrong on SS LP?

Default What am I doing wrong on SS LP?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip. I have gained 20lbs in 9 weeks of SS. I am now 170lbs at 5 feet 8.5 inches. My best lifts on SS are the following;
    Squat: 75kg >>> 100kg x3x5
    Press: 35kg >>> 48.75kg x3x5
    Deadlift: 90kg >>> 112.5kg x5
    Bench Press: 60kg >>> 73.75kg 3x5
    PC: 40kg >>> 50kg x5x3
    Vertical: 52cm >>> 55cm

My best squat was done at 162.5lbs at week 5 day 3 but stalled the week after I've attempted it. I have also gained an additional 2lbs when I have stalled. I reset the weight by 10% but then stalled at 97.5kg, I was 168lbs at the time of my 2nd stall. I suspected that it might be a form issue. I was too upright and wasn't leaning forward. I did a 15% reset and did the squat with proper form this time. Last week on the 3rd session, 92.5kg squat felt very easy (http://http://startingstrength.com/r...hopefully.html). I was so certain I'm able to progress without any problem this time. But the next week, 95kg felt like shit, my form was off but still completed the workset. Today, I only can only manage to pull of 97.5kg for 2 reps. I weighed 170lbs today.

This isn't my only lift that has stalled. I wouldn't consider my press stalling yet but I only got 50kg for 5,4,4 today. I failed to pull a single rep on my deadllift at 115kg today, eventhough I have performed PC at the previous session. This is the 2nd stall for my deadlift. My bench press has stalled once at 75kg (currently going back up from a 10% reset).

Weight gain has slowed down to 1lb this week. So I am going to add an additional 500kcal on top of my 4000kcal. I am not doing any form of cardio. The only recreational activity I am doing is ping pong. I am sleeping 8-9 hours a week (10 hours on the weekends). I rest 5-6 minutes between working sets. The progression of my lifts are 2.5kg for squat and deadlifts, 1.25kg for bench, press and PC. I perform EMOM (every minute on the minute pull ups) 8x4 and 8x3 twice a week on the days I'm not training for my sore elbows (which worked well, no longer have elbow tendonitis).

What am I doing wrong? Is it because I'm supposed to eat 5000kcal instead of 4000kcal? Is it because I'm supposed to gain 48lbs in 10 weeks? Is it because of my ping pong or additional pull up sessions? Or is it because my body isn't cut out for a LP or either have to move on to the advance novice this early, especially with such newbie lifts?

I know I still need to gain weight. I am still doing that. But I don't want to end up being 200lbs but only squatting 120kg for 3x5. I don't want to give up on SS. I don't really care of losing my six pack abs (already loss them, but I do hate having a more puffy and round face though). I don't mind taking my weight gain all the way to 200lbs, but what I DON'T WANT is to become a fatass while only squatting less than 140kg. My goal is to squat 140kg for sets of 5, bench 100kg for 5, deadlift 160kg for 5 and pressing 70kg for 5. I know SS can take me there. But at the rate of my stalling, I don't know if I can really get there.

I'm also currently doing social media marketing and trying to get clients to take up my service (already have 3 prospects considering my service) for 500$/month initially so that I can hopefully earn some money and maybe get a Online SS coach.

Will be looking forward to your reply.

Amos

So, If I bump my calories up to 5000 kcal, it'll stop the stalling. Correct? But how exactly does it actually stop it? Is it because you start gaining weight faster, thus making you stronger (mass move mass). Is it also because there's abundance of excess calories which speeds up recovery rate?

And if I stall once again, even after consuming 5000kcal daily and gaining ~3lbs a week, does it mean I'm still not eating enough and have to eat 6000kcal instead?

Eating more and consuming more calories can have a number of benefits to a lifter, one of which is gaining needed weight. Another great benefit is that helps reduce your recovery time, if you're underfed and not getting enough sleep or rest then your body cannot appropriately recover for the next workout. You need to feed the muscles to help them recover and get stronger.

When you begin to stall or fail reps then you have to go through a checklist of things that could have caused the misses. Have you been getting enough rest in the days leading up to your sessions? Are you eating enough in those days? Is there a possible flaw in your form that is causing the miss? All of these things and sometimes more need to be asked and looked at, so this time the answer could be to eat more and next time it could be to get a little more sleep. Asses what it is that you are doing and whichever part is lacking you add to it.

From my experience, eating enough to recover fully allows the lifter to make tiny or sometimes even medium-sized mistakes that don't prevent the lifter from progressing at all. I've found that eating less means my form has to be close to damn near perfect in order to see progress. Can't explain it, but I see this with others, too, who tell themselves and me that they "eat a lot", yet tiny form mistakes are keeping them weaker than they ought to be.

starting strength coach development program
    Advanced novice