starting strength gym

Thread: Overhead press only no bench

Default Overhead press only no bench

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

I decided to stop bench pressing as I always get injured (elbows, ac joint mostly) which prevents me from being productive in life and sports.

Overhead pressing is the only pressing movement I can perform without getting irritated and its my main focus. However, I am reading on the board that bench pressing has the most carry over to the press because of more weight being used etc.

Have you seen individuals pressing 275 without any other heavier upper body load like bench press or inclines, just by pressing ?

Thanks, maybe we can ask the public who stopped flat/incline benches and focused on ohp only how far they go.

I would have though that the press had the most carry over to the press.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I would have though that the press had the most carry over to the press.
    Yeah, exactly. The press has the most carryover to the press and then variations of the press after that.

What does it matter what others have got their press up to by not bench pressing? Apart from most people have not reached their lifetime best lifts yet and are still progressing the lift regularly, it also gives only a little indication of what you will be able to achieve. Why don't you just try it and find out since you have potentially no choice about not benching anyway, so what does it matter? The answer is it doesn't matter and you should just try and see how far you can take it.

Also, why don't you get the shoulders checked out so you can get your shoulder problems properly diagnosed and potentially fixed, if you haven't done so already.

Valid points so far thanks for the input, seems there are no other choices other than press only. I plan to follow a texas method set/rep progression as a start and see how it goes.

AC joint separation (level 1) was diagnosed some months ago, it got healed over time however when pushing the bench beyond limits - failed rep seems the issue reoccurred, so I am like fuck this shit I am not gonna do that no more

Run out intensity days cycling triples and singles. Seems to work decently well for a while. And remember that volume day is just that...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Run out intensity days cycling triples and singles. Seems to work decently well for a while. And remember that volume day is just that...
    1 triple and singles across I guess you are saying.