starting strength gym

Thread: Flexibility and Overhead Press

Default Flexibility and Overhead Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,
    Getting started with SS. Due to a lifetime of desk-jockeying my shoulder flexibility is terrible. The best I can do is a 60 degree angle from the plane of the floor without flaring ribs/arching back/etc. Thus I can't perform OHP safely. Are there any SS-approved resources for improving mobility for the OHP to which you could direct me?

Additionally, have you encountered individuals in your training career for whom OHP is simply not an option due to genetics? I have a relatively pronounced case of pectus carinatum and have been working for some time to improve shoulder mobility, to little effect. What are some alternative exercises, if it is the case that I may truly be unable to press overhead?

Thanks and happy Sunday

Hang from a chinup bar, actively pushing yourself forward, that's the best stretch you can have.
    In the meantime just press at the best of your abilities.

Thanks for the tip - to clarify, am I hanging with a pull-up grip or chin-up grip?

Does it m a t t e r? Either one, but pull-up would be better since that's the position you'll be in during the press.

Pronated feels more comfortable for me, you can try both