starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pause squats

An unforeseen future nestled somewhere in time.

Default Pause squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Are pause squats (~2 seconds) inherently bad because they entail doing an ass to grass squat and thus eliminating the appropriate motion which relies on rebound from the bottom of the hole?
    If they are not bad, how would you advise incorporating them in training.

Thanks for all content.

Pause squats are a great squat variation which increase time under tension and will increase your strength out of the hole (quad strength I believe). Also the pause forces you to stay right in the bottom and increases flexibility. I would program these after your heavy squats as assistance or use them as a main movement if you squat more than once a week.

any opinion about the fact that rebound is annihilated in that form of squat? or is this actually an advantage? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docoftheworld View Post
    any opinion about the fact that rebound is annihilated in that form of squat? or is this actually an advantage? thanks
    That's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolarbear View Post
    Pause squats are a great squat variation which increase time under tension and will increase your strength out of the hole (quad strength I believe). Also the pause forces you to stay right in the bottom and increases flexibility. I would program these after your heavy squats as assistance or use them as a main movement if you squat more than once a week.
    Thanks for the programming advice. any thoughts about reps and sets, as well as % of 5 rep max to select weight for pause squats?

Are pause squats (~2 seconds) inherently bad because they entail doing an ass to grass squat
    If LBBS you should keep the same range of motion (i.e. Not ATG) but pause at the bottom.

I do them as my primary lift on Fridays as part of an HLM routine. They tend to be a hair lighter than my light day but are significantly harder without the bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by iSquat View Post
    If LBBS you should keep the same range of motion (i.e. Not ATG) but pause at the bottom.
    I See. this is interesting; I basically have to stop the decent and hold it at the point of rebound instead going ATG then? will try that next time.

I See. this is interesting; I basically have to stop the decent and hold it at the point of rebound instead going ATG then? will try that next time.
    IME trying to go ATG with LBBS mechanics = low back tweak. Twice.

starting strength coach development program
    Are pause squats (~2 seconds) inherently bad because they entail doing an ass to grass squat and thus eliminating the appropriate motion which relies on rebound from the bottom of the hole?
    If they are not bad, how would you advise incorporating them in training.

Thanks for all content.
    Killing The Stretch Reflex

Research shows that the stretch reflex is completely eliminated with a 4 second or longer pause. Thus, a 2 second pause dampens the stretch reflex; meaning there still some residual left.

Pause Squat

As most have noted, Paused Squat that eliminate the stretch reflex increased strength out of the hole.

Incorporating Them Into Training

There are a multitude of way of implementing them into your program.

Some experimentation is required.

Kenny Croxdale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast