starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unbalenced pull up to rest of ss

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    And should i do pull ups on A days or can i do them in A and B days (like squats )

So i have more volume and can thus do
    A heave 4x3 and B light 4x8 or something like that

starting strength coach development program
    Replying to both questions. You add weight systematically until the system fails.

In a novice progression, you add weight three times a week. Then every other session. Then weekly etc.

If you try to add weight according to your plan and can't get the reps, then it might be time to slow the progression.

How often you can do them is something you would need to find out. I used to find it hard to do chin ups on deadlift day, but now that's the day I do weighted chin ups.

I have this notion that strength for a given movement will increase at a rate that depends on the physical state of the trainee and the time you have been training that movement. "Strength" being determined as a rep max, be it single, triple or set of five. So if you reckon you can add a certain amount of weight per week to your pull up, I don't think it necessarily matters whether you train it in sets of three, five or ten so long as you do the target rep max at the predicted weight when you intended to. If you don't make the target then either your rate of gain is not what you hoped or your training needs looking at.

For example, a young chap in a Crossfit box was talking about someone he'd seen who did a chin up plus 100kg. Serious weight. He reckoned that he could take his own plus 25kg chin up to that level by adding 2.5kg per week. Great in theory, but as we know, he could probably add 5kg per session for the first couple of weeks and might find the increase of 2.5kg per week hard to maintain later on.

Anyway. Four sets of three heavy and four sets of eight light, sounds feasible. If you can manage it, then do it. If you start to slow down, then you can change to a less aggressive rate of increase.

On my main lifts, I've been playing with a three set plan where I increase the weight on one set each week until it's sets across and then increment the first set again.

When I mentioned work set plus back off, I meant one top set and some back offs. If you are capable of more and it's necessary for you, then by all means do more.

My personal aim is to do the minimum amount of lifts to achieve an increase in strength. I don't want to be like the guy I saw in the gym the other day who spent an hour on pull ups, assisted pull ups, pull downs, Australian rows and other variations. Far too much work. Once you've inflicted enough stimulus to induce stress, it's time to recover and adapt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12