starting strength gym

Thread: Starting strength and travelling?

Default Starting strength and travelling?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In the near future I will be doing some travelling, I was wondering what can be done about starting strength during that time? If I stop working out while on vacation then my strength will slowly decrease over time, which I don't want. But I probably won't be able to find a close gym and workout MWF since my days will be busy (instead of spending time travelling to and back from a gym on public transportation).

So I was thinking rather than give up exercise I just do some bodyweight exercises. I was thinking of doing pushups for arm work, and bodyweight squats for leg work. What should be the set and rep range for those exercises so I don't lose too much progress when starting Starting Strength again when I get home? Should I do something like 3 sets each of push ups and squats until failure every day or what?
    Last edited by shoq; 04-30-2017 at 06:48 AM.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

How long is the vacation?

2 - 4 weeks
    Last edited by shoq; 04-30-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Well, something's better than nothing, but I think you're likely to lose some strength over that time. My advice, having been in a similar situation, is to do a fairly large deload when you come back, but instead of doing 5x3 do ramping sets of 5 to a top set, and try to add 10 lbs to the top set next time you lift. So say you vacationed with a 250x5x3 squat. When you return, your top ramping set progression over 5 days might look like this:

200x5
    210x5
    220x5
    230x5
    240x5 - ahhh, hard!

Once you get to the really hard stage, use that as your next 5x3.

When you come back, you can't just skip to where you were--the CNS and your muscles need a primer first. But once you get in a groove, the strength should come back fairly quickly.