starting strength gym

Thread: Sprints

Default Sprints

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello

I'm currently doing a TM-style program. The reason for the "TM-style" rather than just "TM" is that I have been forced to switch a bit back and forth between 3 and 4 days, and haven't quite found a program that suits my schedule. The volume day became impossible to complete after a while simply due to logistics and the time it takes to complete. 4 days makes for shorter sessions, but then again, 4 days is not always possible to squeeze in between full time job, kids, dog, house and all other stuff that is requiring my time.
    Anyway, I have been able to programme my way around it, and all the lifts are coming along fine.

However; while strength is progressing as it should, I am starting to feel the need to do some sort of conditioning alongside it. The kind I have in mind is sprints and hills.

Any recommendations on how to best implementing that kind of training into a strength programme without wrecking havoc with my recovery?

Thanks in advance,
    Bjørn Opperud

Hej, Bjørn

You don't always have time for the barbell lifts, yet you want to add in conditioning somehow? I guess if you went on morning walks, that could work. Pushing or dragging sleds wouldn't take up an awful lot of time, I suppose. If you really want to and have the time, try a one day a week conditioning thing either after your last workout or the day afterwards where you do some level of HIIT and gradually increase the duration of the session over the weeks and months. Better to start with something like 5 minutes of work than blow your load early and miss your lifts on Monday/Tuesday. I don't know an awful lot about adding conditioning into your training, so I'll refer you to Coach Doctor Genius Playboy Philanthropist Feigenbaum's article on recomping that has a tiny section on conditioning. I have heard, however, that hill sprints are pretty damn taxing. Best to do some shit on a rower or bike if a sled isn't available.

I have to emphasise the need for reflection, though. Do you really have the time to add conditioning to your already overly busy schedule? Do you really need to add conditioning at all? Why are you starting to feel this need to do car-dee-oh? Is that Spanish? Why hill sprints, specifically? Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z?

To Be A Beast | Barbell Medicine (go to fluffy novice measured in the case studies section near the end of the article)

You're welcome
    Scaldrew

Thanks for your reply Scaldrew, those are valid questions.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to loose weight. I'm 34 years old, about 184cm and 95kg (I think thats about 6,05 feet and 210lbs). I have no idea about body fat % but from what I read I would guess its somewhere around 16-17% or so.

I already do walk a lot, with the dog and all. Actually the dog is part of the reason I decided I should do some sort of cardio. Here the other day while we were walking in the nearby woods, the damn thing noticed some sort of bird or animal and took off. When he decided to ignore my repeated calls I ended up chasing him through the woods and hills. While desperately trying to catch my breath after catching him, and trying not to throw up my actual lungs, I decided it was about time to do some cardio in addition to my strength training. I had a somewhat similar experience this past winter while playing ice hockey.

The reason hill sprints came to mind, was that it seems to be an effective way to train. I could go out after the kids have gone to bed, do some number of sprints, and be back in good time for Greys Anatomy.
    The reason I'm having second thoughts is exactly what you say; They are taxing, and I dont want to f*** up my strength program.

As for the strength program, I am finding time for it. Its just that when squats alone are starting to take somewhere around an hour, and then its 5x5 bench, and then some sort of pull, we are looking at 2,5h+ sessions, and that is difficult to get in after the kids bedtime or before work.
    That's why I have been experimenting a bit with different templates for the Texas Method style program that I do.

I'm thinking about doing some sort of conditioning, sprints, c2 row, etc on the light days (wednesday), but would love to hear peoples experience with this

Best,
    Bjørn

PS. Towards the end of the article you linked to is a perhaps even more relevant article:
    When Should You Do Conditioning? | Barbell Medicine