starting strength gym

Thread: Another Tendon Issue

Default Another Tendon Issue

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

I'm currently suffering from a Quadriceps Tendinosis(**). The problem is on the outer quadriceps, in the midway of the knee/hip (IT band). The area is depicted over here: http://oi66.tinypic.com/9a7ret.jpg
    The pain is now like six/eight weeks and is felt when performing a narrow (BW) stance squat with a knee angle from approx. 100 degree and below. When performing sumo squats, no pain at all (only some "stretching")
    My doctor adviced me to keep training legs, around 70% of my regular weights, and performing more reps. This caused some heavy pains in the depicted area; I visited another doctor, same diagnosis; he also told me it was an adhesion(*) he adviced me to perform foam rolling "a couple of times per week" the vastus lateralis and showed me two good examples. This should be very painful, like the tears in your eyes will almost show up.

Since I have got two different regimes, I'm asking you, coach, about your opinion on my injury, what do you think is the best method to overcome this?

(*adhesion: I don't know if this is translated correctly, it's like the muscle and tendon are sticked/glued to each other)
    (** The injury is probably caused by a stance change of my deadlifts, I changed my stance from wide, outward pointing feet, to regular stance, forward pointing feet, this will result into more tension on the outer quads; probably I didn't warmed up good enough, and for sure didn't lowered my weights, while changing my stance, very dumb, very painful lesson for me)

I don't know anything about tendinosis of the quads, so if any SSC is reading this, do correct me if I'm wrong. Your stance on the squat isn't supposed to be narrow, it's supposed to be at or slightly wider than shoulder width with the toes pointed out at least 30° or more than you'd like. Proper depth should be reached. Food should be eaten. Foam rolling should be disregarded as should medical advice on squatting in general (unless it's Dr. Coach Jordan "Gains" Feigenbaum, PhD Esq.).

I do know somethings about coaching technique and rehabbing injuries. Because you are not experiencing any pain when widening your stance, I have to conclude that this is a technical error. Fix your squat stance and do the programme from there (so long as you're not hurting while squatting with a proper stance). Your deadlift stance also sounds wrong, but honestly not enough to where you'd expect to have serious pain in your quads.

I think there's a lot you're not telling us, so why not begin with videos of your squat and deadlift (cf the sticky on filming form videos) and telling us what your food intake and bodyweight is like.

Your diagnosis is bullshit. Quadriceps tendinitis / tendinitis refers to pain in the quadriceps tendon. This is iliotibial band in origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    I don't know anything about tendinosis of the quads, so if any SSC is reading this, do correct me if I'm wrong. Your stance on the squat isn't supposed to be narrow, it's supposed to be at or slightly wider than shoulder width with the toes pointed out at least 30° or more than you'd like. Proper depth should be reached. Food should be eaten. Foam rolling should be disregarded as should medical advice on squatting in general (unless it's Dr. Coach Jordan "Gains" Feigenbaum, PhD Esq.).
    Thanks for your reply;
    the narrow stance squat was to demonstrate when and when not my pain is excited; my normal stance is just regualr stance, shoulder width, toes pointing out a little bit, arround 30 deg.
    You think foam rolling is bad for my injury?
    I do know somethings about coaching technique and rehabbing injuries. Because you are not experiencing any pain when widening your stance, I have to conclude that this is a technical error. Fix your squat stance and do the programme from there
    You mean by this squatting and performing the program sumo stance? The sumo stance is what I ment by "wide stance".
    I think there's a lot you're not telling us, so why not begin with videos of your squat and deadlift (cf the sticky on filming form videos)
    I currently do not perform any deadlift or squats, due to the pain in the lower position, dont want to make the tendinosis even worse
    and telling us what your food intake and bodyweight is like.
    BW around 105,
    Food Intake 4kcal, Around 35-45-30 (250gr prot, 300gr carbs, 180gr fat), low on sugar, very low on transfat, fat percentage around 12-13%
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Your diagnosis is bullshit. Quadriceps tendinitis / tendinitis refers to pain in the quadriceps tendon. This is iliotibial band in origin.
    Thanks for your reply, you think the problem is the IT band for sure? Since the quadriceps tendon is only "attached" to the knee and the hip? My doctor told me it was the "tendon plate", I don't know whether or not this translation is known?
    Last edited by JakeBigLift; 05-09-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Numbers seem alright. Now I just need to see your form. Severe pain in the thighs is unusual on a deadlift, more so than on a squat. Show me both. Lifting with good technique—even if it's just "80%" of the way there—should alleviate acute or chronic pains, depending on what the nature of the injury is. Not squatting or deadlifting is not an option; your legs will get detrained after about a week or so and the pain will get worse, not better.

I wouldn't recommend foam rolling for the same reason I wouldn't recommend electro-shock therapy: expensive, painful, waste of time.

So there is no risk in making the injury even worse? or let the IT band snap by training in lower position?
    That is/was my fear for not training when in pain in this case

Foma rolling is not expensive and takes not that much time, it is very painful however

Squatting with good form will not cause serious damage. I am noting a distinct lack of video, though. Don't risk further injury by assuming you know what to look for.

Foam rolling may not be expensive compared to something like surgery or pain medication, but it's damned expensive given that there's nothing suggesting it actually works. That's 20 bucks you can spend on milkshakes instead. I mean, really, milkshakes or painfully looking like a trendy noob on the floor of your gym or bedroom. I think I made my point.

Thanks for your reply,

I already own a foam roller, since a couple of months;
    I know there's a lot of opinions on foamrolling, I was just wondering what the opinion of foam rolling is, regarding my particular situation

Quote Originally Posted by JakeBigLift View Post
    Thanks for your reply,

I already own a foam roller, since a couple of months;
    I know there's a lot of opinions on foamrolling, I was just wondering what the opinion of foam rolling is, regarding my particular situation
    Probably won't help you, Rip talks about it in this video: Foam rolling vs myofascial release | Ask Rip #45 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate9 View Post
    Probably won't help you, Rip talks about it in this video: Foam rolling vs myofascial release | Ask Rip #45 - YouTube
    Thanks for your reply, I watch it and getting it. Foam Rolling wont help me.

An update for my situation:
    Visited another physio, told me he doesn't feel anything weird on the IT band. He told me to perform stretches and stop training less until pain relieve.
    I guess these physio's won't help me.

So my problem is still the same: I feel pain when performing squats. The problem is on the outer quadriceps, in the midway of the knee/hip (IT band). The area is depicted over here: http://oi66.tinypic.com/9a7ret.jpg
    Anyone can tell me if it's a tendon/IT/muscle problem? And what would be a good recovery regime?