starting strength gym

Thread: Bill Starr Rehab protocol after 5 years?

Default Bill Starr Rehab protocol after 5 years?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey there. Just a quick question about the Starr rehab method. About 4-5 years ago, I hurt my lower left side of my back from doing deadlifts after squats. It hurt quite a bit for about a year and ever since then, it acts up if I'm on my feet all day or do a lot of activity. But the pain is more of a tightness now that is bothersome. I've tried to deadlift again, and when I get back to my normal poundages, thats when it hurts. Do you think after 4 or 5 years now that the starr rehab protocol would work for me or be worth a shot? Thanks so much!

From what I gather about Good Ol' Bill Starr is that his rehab protocol only works for muscle belly tears. Your awfully non-descript injury doesn't give off the impression of being a tear. Back tears are also less common according to Rip in the chapter on deadlifting, especially in the lower back, because the muscle bellies are small. Conversely, quad and pec tears are more common because they're larger muscles. There's a pattern to tearing that Rip also outlines in the same chapter. Bleeding and thus contusion is very common, though not necessarily present, say, if the tear is small enough. Usually the function of the individual whose muscle belly has torn (really quite a serious deal) is severely reduced up until after the rehab has taken place, which is very painful.

I'm not saying you haven't torn a muscle, I'm saying you probably have some form issue that has been bothering you for 5 years that needs checking. Methinks your falling forward on the deadlift, caused by either a lack of balance over the midfoot or not applying step 4.5 in weightlifting shoes. I say this because that's exactly what caused my back to start aching just recently and now I'm 85% out of the woods. It's tight when I get up out of bed wrong (completely arbitrary event) and then I experience reduced ROM unless I "stretch" into any given position for a few seconds, but only for a few additional seconds. Bicycling also hurts and aggravates the pain. Review your deadlift form, maybe try the technique board.

No.