starting strength gym

Thread: Bilateral trigger finger caused by deadlifts?

Default Bilateral trigger finger caused by deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yesterday I had cortisone shots in the middle finger of each hand to alleviate trigger finger as diagnosed by my GP.

My GP didn't have much to say about it (other than "yup, that's trigger finger, here's your referral") but the sports medicine doc who did the injections told me that it's odd to see this in both middle fingers. My pinky fingers on both hands are also showing symptoms.

He checked my thyroid & sugar numbers as apparently this is a marker for diabetes, but I checked out clean on both sides.

Since this all started not long after I set a new PR with my deadlift, and has persisted as I've kept up the volume and intensity of that lift, both docs agree that it may be caused by that movement.

I try to follow the grip techniques outlined in the program. I think the bar sometimes rolls a bit too far into my palm, but I correct this as soon as I notice it. I used to be able to double overhand up to 315lbs which is about 70% of my max. Now I have to use an alternate grip starting at around 275.

The sports med doc suggested gloves... a bit of reading on bodybuilding.com turns up the same suggestion, along with straps. I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust my technique, my grip, whatever... or if gloves & straps will really help?

I type as a big part of my job so I need my hands to stay healthy for a while yet. The joints locking isn't painful but it is annoying (I wake up most mornings with my fingers curled into claws & have to unclench them using my opposite hand), and I already mentioned my grip strength going to shit.

Anyone ever run into this and/or have ideas for me?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by invisibleman View Post
    Yesterday I had cortisone shots in the middle finger of each hand to alleviate trigger finger as diagnosed by my GP.

My GP didn't have much to say about it (other than "yup, that's trigger finger, here's your referral") but the sports medicine doc who did the injections told me that it's odd to see this in both middle fingers. My pinky fingers on both hands are also showing symptoms.

He checked my thyroid & sugar numbers as apparently this is a marker for diabetes, but I checked out clean on both sides.

Since this all started not long after I set a new PR with my deadlift, and has persisted as I've kept up the volume and intensity of that lift, both docs agree that it may be caused by that movement.

I try to follow the grip techniques outlined in the program. I think the bar sometimes rolls a bit too far into my palm, but I correct this as soon as I notice it. I used to be able to double overhand up to 315lbs which is about 70% of my max. Now I have to use an alternate grip starting at around 275.

The sports med doc suggested gloves... a bit of reading on bodybuilding.com turns up the same suggestion, along with straps. I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust my technique, my grip, whatever... or if gloves & straps will really help?

I type as a big part of my job so I need my hands to stay healthy for a while yet. The joints locking isn't painful but it is annoying (I wake up most mornings with my fingers curled into claws & have to unclench them using my opposite hand), and I already mentioned my grip strength going to shit.

Anyone ever run into this and/or have ideas for me?

Thanks.
    Longtime lurker who registered for this reply.

I'm currently rehabbing trigger finger on both pinky fingers, caused by abusing grip training. My main concern was how it would affect the deadlift. The workaround that has helped me a lot is switching to the hook grip. Even though that grip does involve the middle finger, it might be easier than an overhead or alternate grip with trigger finger.

Not sure how gloves would help, but I could see how straps would.

Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    Longtime lurker who registered for this reply.

I'm currently rehabbing trigger finger on both pinky fingers, caused by abusing grip training. My main concern was how it would affect the deadlift. The workaround that has helped me a lot is switching to the hook grip. Even though that grip does involve the middle finger, it might be easier than an overhead or alternate grip with trigger finger.

Not sure how gloves would help, but I could see how straps would.
    Thanks for registering & replying.

Now my doc's got me all worked up over my thyroid. My middle fingers are ok after the shots, but my ring fingers - on both hands - are getting clicky. He's suspicious that this isn't a mechanical issue at all, and I have to go get labs done.

The good news is that the cortisone worked a charm, though. And I'm back to deadlifting and even hit my PR again recently.

I never could get the feel of a hook grip, but I will keep trying. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by invisibleman View Post
    Thanks for registering & replying.

Now my doc's got me all worked up over my thyroid. My middle fingers are ok after the shots, but my ring fingers - on both hands - are getting clicky. He's suspicious that this isn't a mechanical issue at all, and I have to go get labs done.

The good news is that the cortisone worked a charm, though. And I'm back to deadlifting and even hit my PR again recently.

I never could get the feel of a hook grip, but I will keep trying. Thanks again.
    Good job on that PR!

Interesting the doctor doesn't think it's mechanical. Mine obvious is, as there are sticking points when opening those fingers. I can feel a binding along the tendon. Ice and cross-fiber massage has worked well for me.

Not sure why this thread was marked "repetitive", but since we can obviously still post on it, give us an update when you hear back from the labs.