starting strength gym

Thread: Squat, DL and weakness

Question Squat, DL and weakness

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi TMPHBITEU, and all the other big guys,

I have a serious problem with two big exercises: the deadlift and the squat. My maximum is about 60 kg in squat, but already after 50+ I begin feeling a weakness and being lightheaded. I do warmups, I drink enough water, and in many cases this is my first exercise. No overtrain. I also eat enough carbohydrates 2 hours before, and 30 minutes before my workout I eat some banana or bread with chocolate. I feel fine during my 60 - 80 minutes lifting before and after. I do a low bar squat, and even with my torn meniscus I - thanks god - almost not feel it. But I'm stuck with those 50 - 60 kg because of the breathing problem. It's like, after do 55*5, I begin feeling dizziness. Then I take 2 - 3 minutes rest, do less than five and feel, that one more, and I'm going to lose my conscious. I checked my heart on echo, my BP is normal, also checked my lungs(was a suspicion for asthma, with no connection to the lifting) - nothing, though it's said that I have a lung function on the low level of normal range. And, I've always, since childhood, had a problem with a full breathing, the feeling that you can't fully inhale. Something psychological, I guess.

With the DL - 50 kg, not higher. The same thing. Even it almost once happened with shrugs: I took two dumbbells of 20 kg, made my training, and began feeling weak. Took me 5 minutes to recover.
    Because of this shit I can't progress with these two king exercises, and my BP is higher than them: 70+ kg, and I see no logic in hands being stronger than legs or back(unless I'm a monkey, and no one told me about that). I feel fine after the BP, even if it's like my head is going to blow up for a few seconds.
    35 y.o,almost 60 kg my own weight, 163 cm height, being trained 5 years, but only the last year more seriously, not without the help of SS lessons on youtube, and reading literature about the training process.
    By the way, I did 2*5 front squats (after the back squats) with 40 kg, and it was ok.

Would be glad to read any suggestions from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    To rest more? I'll be more than happy to do that. By the way, I've noticed that sometimes, at the end of the session, 30 - 40 minutes after the squat, I can, with almost no warmup, get back to the maximum weight, doing a few reps more. It's like it's taking me half an hour to get back my breath. Strange case...
    Regarding my poor, crappy diet - that's the hard part of the story. But still I hope one day I'll be able to push - pull and squat 1.5 of my weight. One day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    To rest more? I'll be more than happy to do that. By the way, I've noticed that sometimes, at the end of the session, 30 - 40 minutes after the squat, I can, with almost no warmup, get back to the maximum weight, doing a few reps more. It's like it's taking me half an hour to get back my breath. Strange case...
    Regarding my poor, crappy diet - that's the hard part of the story. But still I hope one day I'll be able to push - pull and squat 1.5 of my weight. One day.
    The sweet spot for me between worksets is eight minutes. I've gone nine if I'm particularly wiped by a set but for me anyway it seems like if I go 10 minutes I lose my warmup. I'm 59 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    The sweet spot for me between worksets is eight minutes. I've gone nine if I'm particularly wiped by a set but for me anyway it seems like if I go 10 minutes I lose my warmup. I'm 59 years old.
    Thanks for the reply, SteveL. I'm much younger than you, so maybe 6 - 7 minutes will be enough for me. I'll try it today.
    And it's great people at your age are lifting weights. I hate explaining my parents, why it's important to start now, before it's too late, or less efficient.

Just have arrived from the gym. When I reached the submaximal weights, I rested for 5 - 7 minutes, and finally succeeded in squatting 65 kg, for 1rep(I could do two or three, but then I would kiss and hug the floor badly). I also jumped from 37.5 to 40*3 kg in my shoulder press. I'll try to rest more between sets and eat a little bit more(here's my big problem), and see how I'm progressing.
    Last edited by Kiril; 06-12-2017 at 03:49 PM.