starting strength gym

Thread: Pressing 3x a week instead of the bench.

Default Pressing 3x a week instead of the bench.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In my home gym I've got plates, a rack and a barbell but no bench simply because I didn't want go spend money on it, I don't like to bench but I love to press. My question is, am I allowed to press 3 times a week or would that be my not doing the program?

Quote Originally Posted by BenBoskovski View Post
    In my home gym I've got plates, a rack and a barbell but no bench simply because I didn't want go spend money on it, I don't like to bench but I love to press. My question is, am I allowed to press 3 times a week or would that be my not doing the program?
    Correct. YNDTP.

That said, if you don't want to bench, don't bench. Plenty of people are unable to bench and so they only press. This is sub-optimal, but you need to make your own decisions about your own training.

Of course you're allowed to press thrice weekly. I've had great results benching the same way, using a heavy/medium/light protocol with superb results. The press would likely give you great results, too.

Yep. I did much the same thing for about a year - didn't have a bench and didn't want to buy one. It can be done, but I can tell you honestly that your press won't progress as well as it would if you were incorporating bench presses or adding in some LTE work. Can you do dips?

Technically I can, but it's an unstable surface so I prefer not to.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for that man, appreciate it.