starting strength gym

Thread: shoulder injury- all i can do is deadlift and high-bar squat for the next month

Default shoulder injury- all i can do is deadlift and high-bar squat for the next month

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    any advice from SSOCs about what i can do in the interim?

I can high bar squat my bodyweight for 3x5 with no pain, and i can pull conventional with minimal pain. low bar squat badly irritates the rear delt. Should I just do this three times a week? Pull every other session? Any pressing movement can't be locked out due to the injury, and an orthopaedic surgeon told me i should wait at least a month.

thoughts?

I'm not SSC. It sounds like you have your approach mapped out. So go and do it. You don't need to beg permission or approval. Do what you can, and make some improvements on your high bar squat and deadlift in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    I'm not SSC. It sounds like you have your approach mapped out. So go and do it. You don't need to beg permission or approval. Do what you can, and make some improvements on your high bar squat and deadlift in the meantime.
    dude, what the fuck?

There's nothing in this post whatsoever that a reasonable person would read as "begging for approval". I'm a novice, I'm not equipped to judge wether or not major injury-wrought deviations from the program are optimal. So I'm asking for qualified people to help me decide if the course of action that I've theorized about is workable. There is absolutely nothing unreasonable about posting this thread, because it contains a legit question.

quit trying to be a tough guy lmao

Username checks out!

OP, notice that your question was moved to here in "repetetive inquiries" from whatever forum you started in.
    So you won't necessarily get the answer you were hoping for from Rip or an SSC, sorry.

And I don't see anything wrong with Chebass' answer, it seemed correct and polite to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    dude, what the fuck?

There's nothing in this post whatsoever that a reasonable person would read as "begging for approval". I'm a novice, I'm not equipped to judge wether or not major injury-wrought deviations from the program are optimal. So I'm asking for qualified people to help me decide if the course of action that I've theorized about is workable. There is absolutely nothing unreasonable about posting this thread, because it contains a legit question.

quit trying to be a tough guy lmao
    There is a tone around these parts that any deviation from the program is a BIG DEAL. There is quite the culture of "doing the program", and many users, including the big guy himself get great pleasure in pointing out whether you're "doing the program". In fact, if you were to post the question in Rippetoe's Q&A, his answer would probably be that he wrote books about this, and you're not doing the program. Posting it on the Starting Strength Facebook group would earn the same level of anger, albeit via response by a few dozen posters.

What you are proposing isn't all that much of a major deviation from the program. So you take a month off of pressing. No big deal. You'll make it up eventually. The biggest problem with a high bar squat is that you can't use as much weight. No big deal there either. Rippetoe even wrote a few paragraphs in his book about doing the program with high bar squats.

Do what you can, when you can. Progress your high bar squat and deadlift. In a month, start pressing again.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Username checks out!

OP, notice that your question was moved to here in "repetetive inquiries" from whatever forum you started in.
    So you won't necessarily get the answer you were hoping for from Rip or an SSC, sorry.

And I don't see anything wrong with Chebass' answer, it seemed correct and polite to me.
    I posted it directly to repetitive inquiries.

Thanks for actually answering chebass, I guess i'll just proceed as I'd planned. Still dont think its a silly question tho.

Still dont think its a silly question tho.
    It's not a silly question. I hope your shoulder heals quickly.

Btw, I'm doing high-bar squats right now to work around an elbow problem. We all do what we can...

I also shifted towards high bar squats due to a pulled biceps tendon.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    It's not a silly question. I hope your shoulder heals quickly.

Btw, I'm doing high-bar squats right now to work around an elbow problem. We all do what we can...
    Have you made any alteration to deadlift frequency/volume on the basis of a temporary stint with high bar? Will my deadlifts continue to improve with 1x5 every other workout without low bar squats three times a week?

starting strength coach development program
    Have you made any alteration to deadlift frequency/volume on the basis of a temporary stint with high bar? Will my deadlifts continue to improve with 1x5 every other workout without low bar squats three times a week?
    Your concerns make sense to me, but my answer is "maybe?"
    Once you are forced to stop doing SS as-written, you must try things and see. Take good notes, try to learn from each experiment.

I'm doing an intermediate program, Heavy-Light-Medium, not SS. Sets x reps for squats and pulls look like this:

H: squat 4x5, dead 1x5
    L: squat 2x5 at 10% less, chins
    M: squat 3x5 @ -5%, dead 1x5 @ -20% wide-grip or deficit

This leaves out a lot of detail (presses, progression, periodization, etc). Intermediate programming is confusing and I'm always tinkering and screwing things up.

But this pattern of 2 sets of deadlifts (one heavy, one light), and one day for chins works well for me.
    Note that I'm probably a lot older than you are, and can't handle much volume.

You might be able to get away with deadlifting heavy every session. Also you might be able to use power cleans for your light day, PCs are awesome and fun.