starting strength gym

Thread: My lifts are still low, but I can't progress linearly

Default My lifts are still low, but I can't progress linearly

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

I'm a 16 year old guy, 6' and 156 lbs. I'm doing the SS program, but surprisingly I can only progress with autoregulation even though the weights on the bar are still pretty low. Usually I can add 2.5kg a week, but not on every lift. I sleep 7-8 hrs a day and eat around 3100 calories which should be enough to gain weight. In fact, I'm consistently gaining weight.

Regarding my form: my form is ok, but I improve on my technique on every occasion.

I just can't comprehend why I'm unable to progress from workout to workout.

Anyway, if it matters, here are my numbers:

Squat - 100kg
    Deadlift - 117.5kg
    Bench - 65kg
    Press - 47.5kg
    PC - 60kg

Thanks in advance.

When I was 16 and 140#, I drank a half gallon of chocolate milk a day between classes on top of eating way way more than you. Did not become a fat slob and became way stronger even without a program as ideal as SS.

"adding 2.5kg on all lifts"
    Press and bench might need to micro loaded; i.e. 1.25kg jumps.
    Relative to your body weight (to height ratio), 2.5kg is a big jump . . . hell, maybe even with the squat. . . . for you.

How long are you resting between 3x5 work sets?

And +1 what McgilChrist said.
    You tall, thin, and 16.
    Your body is just consuming mucho-calories to just grow in the general sense . . . let alone the calories needed to just put on some 'extra' muscle.

What's your protein intake?

Quote Originally Posted by confused_enthusiast View Post

I'm a 16 year old guy, 6' and 156 lbs... I sleep 7-8 hrs a day and eat around 3100 calories which should be enough to gain weight.

I just can't comprehend why I'm unable to progress from workout to workout.
    You aren't making fast progress on your lifts because you aren't making fast progress with your bodyweight. I'm 6'1", 30, and weighed 130lb 6 years ago. Over the last 6 months I've gone from 172lb to 205lb by eating, a lot. My current daily caloric intake is 4600 calories, which will have to be increased soon to make sure I keep on gaining weight.

Drink whole milk ,eat 5 meals a day, and make sure you're getting plenty of protein with every meal. Read this article: To Be A Beast | Barbell Medicine (you're Case #1, the skinny novice).

starting strength coach development program
    Okay, so it seems that I definitely don't eat enough to keep doing the linear progression. I upped my calories to 3400 which (according to online calculators) results in a 2kg/4.4lb weight gain per month. I know you guys are saying that a bunch of people don't wanna lose their precious abs, so they barely eat, but the fact of the matter is that I don't even have abs. I have a small gut and I don't wanna get overweight whilst doing the program. I hope this ~600kcal surplus will take care of the linear progression without making a chunk of meat out of me. I guess if it won't work than I need even more calories. We'll see it.

Oh, and I always aim to eat at least 0.8g protein per pound of bw, but my intake is much higher usually.

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.