starting strength gym

Thread: Training through daily knee pain?

Default Training through daily knee pain?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    If this post doesn't belong in this forum let me know where its does.
    Hey Mark,
    I apologize for wasting your time with yet knee pain post but I would really appreciate your advice. I searched the forums and couldn't find anything that helped.

I'm 16, 180 cm, 75 kg. Have been doing the program for a month and a half now, and having the knee trouble for 3-4 weeks.
    I'm sleeping 8+ hours a day, gaining about 1kg a week, 6 so far.

About the pain:
    On a scale from 1-10 its 1-2 on both knees.
    The pain is just above the patella. It is sore to touch if I try to "dig in" the patella.
    It hurts when standing up or sitting down on a surface that is about knee height, when standing up from some sort of a lunge,
    and sometimes feeling it when going up and down the stairs.
    It doesn't hurt when walking, sitting and even performing weighted squats after some warm up sets.

When it happened and what I did about it:
    I started the program with a squat weight of 50 kg and moved up with 5kg jumps.
    When I got to 90kg the issue first started.
    I got down to 80 kg and cut down the jumps to 2.5kg - pain hasn't gone away.
    I took 600mg of etopan a day for 5 days - pain got down a little but came back to normal when I returned to squat without it.
    I got down to 70 kg and did the same thing - pain hasn't gone away.
    I took some days off squatting and pain almost has gone away completely, that's when I understood the problem might be my squat.
    I started squatting again and watched my knees carefully - pain came back. haven't squatted since(a week now).

Video:
    I filmed 2 sets of 60kg squats yesterday for this post, maybe you will find something here:
    SS Squat 60kg check - YouTube
    **strangely enough, today my knees feel a little better than it felt the whole week off but still some pain.

I really don't know what else to do. I would really use your advice, thank you.

Knee pain on squats is almost always a function of technique. Read the boards.

Your descent appears to be very fast. To your credit, your ascent is also very fast.

I suspect that the rapid descent is producing a sizeable stretch reflex in your quadriceps muscles. While we approve of the stretch reflex round here, you need to know what it is. Your quads are contracting and locking and you are effectively using your tendons as bungee cords to fire you back up.

There might be a bit less hip drive then there should be.

You also have some knee slide.

Time to TUBOW.