starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting Shoe Recommendation

Default Lifting Shoe Recommendation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey,

I'm about 6 months into my starting strength program and I've decided I love it so much I should start buying some of the stuff the book says I should get. For a lifting shoe do you recommend the Sabo Girevoy or the Adidas Powerlift 2.0. I've never used a lifting shoe before so I'm not sure what to look for. I picked these shoes because they are in my budget at a local store.

https://www.maxbarbell.com/products/sabo-girevoy-shoes

Adidas Powerlift 2.0 Weightlfiting Shoes Review | BOXROX

Thanks,

Google "site:startingstrength.com shoe recommendation"

I've searched through the forum's and there isn't any talk about the Sabo Girevoy shoes. They are designed for kettlebell training but say they will work for powerlifting as well. From just looking at them they seem to be a better made shoe than the adidas Powerlift 2.0 but I'm not sure if there is a big difference between girevoy designed shoes and powerlifting shoes. Any thoughts?

You want an incompressible heel for heavy squats. I wouldn't buy a shoe that tries to compromise on this point, in order to make the shoe more comfortable for running or jumping in.

I like my old wooden-heeled Do-Wins. Don't know anything about the models you mentioned, sorry.

I have the powerlift 3. They are good. I've seen mixed reviews about them on the boards but they seem to work just fine for me. Granted, they are my first pair of lifting shoes..so there is that.

I like the Powerlift 3 as well. I wasn't sure whether I would like lifting shoes, and they were the least expensive, well-reviewed entry I could find. They turned out great, and I may not need anything more. Powerlift 2 is discontinued, and the 3 solves the problem with the straps that some reviewers had noted on the 2.

I'd stick with the tried and true: Nike Romalo, Adidas Powerlift, and Do-Win. In choosing among the three, I think it comes down to width of your foot. Nike and Do Win seem to be good for wide-footed folk. Adidas not so much. I've heard Adidas Powerlift 3's have wider toe box but I wouldn't risk it myself.

FWIW, I have nothing against Sabo. I have a pair of deadlift shoes from Sabo that work just fine. But they are Russian made with Russian sizing which complicates shit. And I just haven't heard much about the girevoy's which always gives me pause.

My powerlift 2s are a year old and worn on some places: the inside lining of the heel has ripped, threads are lose in several places. I got them a little big and since they were about the same in price as the powerlift 3, I've ordered the Power Perfect 2 Jordan recommends in a smaller size. I hope they are better quality.

Save up a little more cash and get the Adipowers or Romeleos 2.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Coyne View Post
    Save up a little more cash and get the Adipowers or Romeleos 2.
    This. I had powerlifter 2s for a long while - they're fine, but they'll wear out much faster and are noticeably softer than either of the above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast