starting strength gym

Thread: I HAVE to replace power cleans.

Default I HAVE to replace power cleans.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just started the program yesterday. My stats are pretty weird. I've done about 2 years of calisthenics prior to this.

All 5 rep maxes with form according to your second edition book:

Bench: 135 lbs
    Squat: 135 lbs
    OHP: 70 lbs
    Deadlift: 135 lbs

I am considering doing bent over rows in place of the power cleans, but I know you don't recommend it. My gym doesn't allow it though, and it's the only one near me with a squat rack.

I also don't wanna give up on my calisthenic experience. I was wondering if it'd be acceptable to put rows OR chins in place of cleans. I could even do both? I can also do 12 reps of dead hang pullups, no elbow pain. This is workout B I'm referring to^

I'm 6'0, 168lbs and 15 yrs old

Thanks Mark

I'd

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Aren't you supposed to deadlift each session when you first begin?

Once you get to the point where the pull varies...I personally think someone of your age would greatly benefit from power cleans, but ultimately whether you do them is up to you. How do you know that your gym doesn't allow them?

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Aren't you supposed to deadlift each session when you first begin?

Once you get to the point where the pull varies...I personally think someone of your age would greatly benefit from power cleans, but ultimately whether you do them is up to you. How do you know that your gym doesn't allow them?

I deadlift each session at the beginning? I'm ok with that. Deadlifting is pretty neat.

I asked the guy in the power rack next to me who was also on Starting Strength. He said the gym doesn't want people doing power cleans because of possible "injuries" or danger to people around them. Total BS, I know, but I don't want to be kicked out of the university gym.

Thanks a lot. I'll do that.

When I begin chins, should I start with 10-15lbs added weight for 5 reps? I can do around 13 chins bodyweight, strict form from a dead hang. My intention right now is for strength gains only.

EDIT: You mean replace them with chins in workout B once I stop getting stronger on it, right?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by moerecon View Post
    I deadlift each session at the beginning? I'm ok with that. Deadlifting is pretty neat.
    Yep...should be in the book. (Would recommend getting the third edition, by the way...a lot of good updates have made it in. I got the third edition even though I very much prize my second edition.) You deadlift every session for the first couple weeks or so, then transition into another pull.

I asked the guy in the power rack next to me who was also on Starting Strength. He said the gym doesn't want people doing power cleans because of possible "injuries" or danger to people around them. Total BS, I know, but I don't want to be kicked out of the university gym.
    If it were me, I'd try power cleans and apologize profusely if someone with actual authority told me they weren't allowed, assuming there's not a written rule in your membership agreement or somewhere in the gym. But that's just me...I prefer to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Assuming you don't do power cleans, I think chins would be a good option once you start rotating deadlifts. I wouldn't train them like the other lifts though (i.e., three sets of five trying to add resistance)...it's not easily titratable like a barbell, and you'll be putting on bodyweight during the novice progression (which will make the chin-ups harder without you having to do anything).

That's true. I'm not following the gallon of milk per day thing Mark recommended, though. I am eating a little over excess, probably in the range of +400 calories but I'm not counting. It's in my hopes that I'll be able to put on more mass and strength without going overboard on my diet. I'm still partial to the aesthetic part of the process.

I appreciate both your responses. The speed of the replies in this forum are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    If it were me, I'd try power cleans and apologize profusely if someone with actual authority told me they weren't allowed, assuming there's not a written rule in your membership agreement or somewhere in the gym. But that's just me...I prefer to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
    This is a very good strategy for things like this. If you ask for permission, you put other people on the line if something goes wrong. For instance, people in my neighborhood keep asking the parks department if it's ok to swim in the fountain. And, of course, they say no. They don't want to be responsible for some kid drowning or getting sick from drinking water polluted with bird shit. . . .

I've already graduated high school, and the university I attend *technically* doesn't let me in. You have to be 18+ to enter, but I pass because I look older and am rather decently built from prior calisthenics.

I'd rather not draw their attention to me and get ID'd, and then kicked. Precautions.

What's the gym situation in your town? Any better options than the school rec center?

starting strength coach development program
    You could do what you can for the time being but work towards getting your own equipment . Starting Strength website had an article on everything you'll need from barbell , power rack, bench, plates , shoes , belt, chalk and you could have your own gym if you want . I know that space may be an issue but if you have the space that's what I would suggest eventually .