starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'd like a fresh start after messing up in the Programming section

Default I'd like a fresh start after messing up in the Programming section

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First (for those of you who have read my 12 page thread which is basiclaly one huge argument about a string of unreleated nonsense) I would like to start fresh and redesign my goals (I've come to my senses, and I know that I wanted to do too much at once).

Second, as I've finally had a chance to go back and say either "hey, that's imporant to me" or "why did I ever want to do that?" I've reevaluated my goals, after finally throwing a discus under proper coaching for the first time and setting a PB in the process of about 25-7 meters.

Finally, before I get on with my new goals - I have found out where my recovery deficit is coming from - my sleeping problems caused by Autsim and Dyspraxia. I shall be looking to fix those soon, probably with GABA/Melatonin/5-HTP or some other natrual remedy which could also benefit gym performance (legally).

MY LIFTING GOALS:

200 pound/90 kilo standing military press
    300 pound/135 kilo front squat, bench press, power clean
    400 pound/180 kilo back squat
    500 pound/225 kilo deadlift

I would like for these lifts to be RAW and without squat shoes/special suits either. Both the presses to be just wider than shoulder width. The cleans to be from the floor (as opposed to hang). All squats to be ATG with as narrow hand spacing as possible and the deadlifts all to (or at least to get one) with a double over hand grip. I don't mind these being my maxes or these being for reps.

I currently weigh somewhere between 200 and 225 lbs. I would like to stabilize that weight at 200lbs with somehwere between 14-8% bodyfat (just to say, I don't mind the amount of time these lifts and stats take to attain) [let is be noted, that if I get BELOW 8%, I really wouldn't mind - but I'd be scared for my health, is that too low - or is it OK?].

My other goals (which are more skill based, and have good carryover from the standing press):
    5kg shot putt - 15 meters
    1.5kg discus - 50 meters
    Long Jump - 6.20 meters

ANY other track/field improvement is also good for me (all counts towards my Pentathlon score).

But anyways - sorry for the long read, but I hope I can start afresh. I will post my current lifts in a moment, right after I weight myself properly.

MY CURRENT LIFTS

PRESS - 40kg
    BENCH - 72.5kg
    FRONT SQUAT - 75kg
    CLEAN - 50kg
    BACK SQUAT - 100kg
    DEADLIFT - 130kg

My presses are both slightly vider than shoulder width. Front and back squats are both ATG. Clean is for 3x5 istead of 5x3. Deadlift is one rep with double, then continuosly mixing my grip for subsequent reps.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my scales aren't working right now. So I shall have to wait before I can get my weight down on paper.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention, am currently on Starting Strength (with Dips/Pullups added).
    Last edited by willhu12; 08-10-2010 at 02:45 PM.

You learn well, grasshopper.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Please post a log of your workouts and training. You'd be amazed how much your own writing can help you.

Do you take any medication for your Autism?

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Do you take any medication for your Autism?
    Autism cannot be medicated as far as I'm aware.

I shall start a log tomorrow, if I have time. I'll also try doing a small dynamic warmup to help with ROM on my squats and cleans.

I think I should note I stretch after every workout, followed by a contrast shower (1 minute hot, 1/2 minute cold x4). This is just to help recovery and refersh me afterwards.

What does ATG stand for? and why no squat shoes, out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by willhu12 View Post
    Autism cannot be medicated as far as I'm aware.
    You are not aware very far.

I was asking with regards to your sleep issues. My brother is autistic, and he takes Risperidone every night (typically used for schizophrenia, but also used to help reduce irritability in autistic individuals). It knocks him right out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MEbigUsmall View Post
    What does ATG stand for? and why no squat shoes, out of curiosity?
    ATG = Ass To Grass (deep ass squat basically).

Well, the thing is, I don't actualy know what squats shoes are like and further more, lifting in the UK is nowehere near as popular as it is in the USA and East. We don't have these things mass produced, and I;ve heard there very, VERY expensive.

The other reason is - I ALWAYS run, throw and jump in trainers. I think that lifting the loads used to train those abilities using the same attire would be more specific (do correct me if I am wrong though, I don't want to cause any accidents becuase of improper footwear).

EDIT: Just to clarify, I NEVER wear running spikes, not even for running.
    Last edited by willhu12; 08-10-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast