starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best alternative to olympic style lifitng shoes?

Default What is the best alternative to olympic style lifitng shoes?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I currently can't afford a pair. So what is the best alternative?

Right now I squat with a pair of relatively flat soled shoes almost identical to these:

I don't feel too much discomfort when lifting in these, but would I just be better off just squatting bare foot until I can get myself a decent pair of shoes?

You should sell your rings and use that money to buy some shoes.

I cant see the pic as I'm at work and the bastards block everything, but I like chuck taylors - the problem is that don't have a heel.

The reality is, that surely, if it were really important to you, that you would find a way to make $50 and get pair of shoes.

Yeah the pair I have are flat. But that's only because I don't have any heeled shoes.

Dress shoes with a wooden heel if you want the lift. wrestling, chucks, Aisic tigers or other thin soled shoes if you don't.

What heeled pair would you recommend? Are these any good:

Or these http://www.supplement-warehouse.co.u...ing_Shoes.html

I want a pair which arn't too high so I can deadlift in them without problem too.
    Last edited by Age_of_Aquarius; 11-10-2010 at 01:45 PM.

NM I've decided to buy the 2010 do-wins for £79. Really breaking the bank, but if it helps get the job done........

Quote Originally Posted by Age_of_Aquarius View Post
    NM I've decided to buy the 2010 do-wins for £79. Really breaking the bank, but if it helps get the job done........
    Don't wear a 100 dollar shoe with a 10 cent squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Age_of_Aquarius View Post
    What heeled pair would you recommend? Are these any good:

Or these http://www.supplement-warehouse.co.u...ing_Shoes.html

I want a pair which arn't too high so I can deadlift in them without problem too.
    I had a pair just like the ones you have pictures of. I squatted, deadlifted etc. in them - it was fine. Then I got my current ones, with a .75" heel. Squat is better and deadlift changes abit - but not for the worse (at least not for me). So I wouldn't sweat it too much. Get a shoe with .5-1" heel, and you can deadlift in that as well. Or change shoes for the deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    I've never quite understood, what does the heel bring to the lifts? I feel like lifting my heel would make me want to put more weight on the front of my foot.

Chucks work just fine and are cheap. If your gym lets you lift barefoot, I'd say go for it, but most gyms I go to require footwear, although I've never tested the rule. Then again, if everyone lifted barefoot, I probably wouldn't want to for the same reason I don't walk around barefoot in the locker room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast