starting strength gym
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to do crossfit games

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    Heck, the guys (and gals) who win those are impressive. But you can bet they didn't get that way by doing the WODs.
    You can bet it, or you can just google it and confirm it.

If you're really serious about being a games competitor, look to places like OPT, Outlaw, and Invictus. They routinely send people to regionals and the games. Look at how they train their athletes and emulate that. Heck, send James Fitzgerald, Rudy Nielson, or CJ Martin an email and see what they have to say.

Having never done any olympic lifting is going to be a huge problem. At a minimum you're going to need to be able to snatch around 250# and CJ 300# to be competitive. Sound like you're strong enough, so I'd go out and find a proper olympic lifting coach. Good luck

My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    Heck, the guys (and gals) who win those are impressive. But you can bet they didn't get that way by doing the WODs.
    Uggh. I was trying to explain this to a guy at the gym today, and he looked at me like I was a lunatic. Although, you probably put it a little more eloquently than I did.

Strength training can actually make you a better crossfitter. Just look at Lascek... Once upon a time he was challenged to a WOD, of course he didn't want to do it because it would fuck up his actual training. However he decided to indulge because the crossfitters were a bunch of cock suckers. Lascek beat almost all of them except for one who was the best of the cock suckers, and he was the only one that wasn't cheating all of his reps. Proof that true strength converts to EVERY other sport.

Quote Originally Posted by cabranch View Post
    Strength training can actually make you a better crossfitter. Just look at Lascek... Once upon a time he was challenged to a WOD, of course he didn't want to do it because it would fuck up his actual training. However he decided to indulge because the crossfitters were a bunch of cock suckers. Lascek beat almost all of them except for one who was the best of the cock suckers, and he was the only one that wasn't cheating all of his reps. Proof that true strength converts to EVERY other sport.
    ha this is pretty funny. link?

Quote Originally Posted by Trewarin View Post
    Further to this you'll need to ween yourself onto sucking dick, slowly.

Now that you are gay enough to compete consider that:
    1) gymnastics movements should be learnt from as close to the age of birth as possible to learn the complex movement patterns before body-weight causes risk of horrific injuries to shoulders.
    2) you have none of the natural talents needed to excel in this anyway, so should give up.

Cross-fit is to circus, what cheer-leading is to weightlifting... But their workouts are kinda circus tricks minus the pay check, and therefore pointless. A muscle up? Great, what a practical/FUNCTIONAL thing to need to be able to do, I'm sure when those bad guys are chasing you in the street you can box jump over a fence and then intimidate them with one.

Handstand push-ups should come in handy for all those times when you find yourself upside down and needing to force the ground away from your head.
    I logged in today specifically to laugh, again, at the first and last sentences. I'm considering posting a cross fit question, if I can think of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    I did not realize the crossfit games competitors were frowned upon here. Sorry I brought it up, it's just that 250k made it seem like a solid goal to strive for.
    You can always arrive and be disqualified of a "competition" because there was an event in the games you didn't prepare for(saw it happen to a friend & handwalk)
    There are always the elements of surprise in these events (and not from 20-30 key movements but from any event of gymnastics/weightlifting/aerobics/strongman/swimming etc.)
    Next they'll make crosffiters shot put...

In my honest opinion this is closer to a physical game show than an actual sport, just like bodybuilding is closer to modeling than an actual sport.

This is understandable as it is more interesting for a crowd to watch someone flip tyres and handwalk 15 feet and clean 150 lbs for 10 reps than seeing a weightlifter snatch 190 KG.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    I did not realize the crossfit games competitors were frowned upon here. Sorry I brought it up, it's just that 250k made it seem like a solid goal to strive for.
    Really? 363 posts and a member for a year? Skeptical Greg is skeptical. Seems troll-worthy.

The homophobia and calling stuff gay is uncalled for regardless of your opinion of CrossFit.

Quote Originally Posted by atb5161 View Post
    If you're really serious about being a games competitor, look to places like OPT, Outlaw, and Invictus. They routinely send people to regionals and the games. Look at how they train their athletes and emulate that. Heck, send James Fitzgerald, Rudy Nielson, or CJ Martin an email and see what they have to say.

Having never done any olympic lifting is going to be a huge problem. At a minimum you're going to need to be able to snatch around 250# and CJ 300# to be competitive. Sound like you're strong enough, so I'd go out and find a proper olympic lifting coach. Good luck

My $.02
    Now, for an actually helpful reply, the above is good. You are strong enough, Eric, right now to compete at the highest levels if you can maintain that strength level while leaning out and if you can learn to olympic lift well. Beyond that it's mostly anaerobic and aerobic conditioning. Many regional level people do almost entirely high intensity conditioning in addition to dedicated strength work but some other top athletes do aerobic training in addition to the other stuff (for example, running or rowing in the morning--analogous somewhat to an old school boxers "road work"--then strength and high intensity conditioning later in the day).

Joining a CrossFit gym will be a good start IF you have a good CF gym near you or a good coach who can prescribe work for you. Top guys and girls have highly individualized training.

starting strength coach development program
    Cross Fit isn't my thing, but some of the criticisms of it here seem like b.s. Let's see:

1) Risk of injury? That's true of any kind of rigorous training, including Starting Strength.

2) Stupid/pointless form of competition? A matter of opinion, no? Strong Man competitions might look stupid to some, but Practical Programming includes sample workouts to prepare for them.

3) People kissing up to a prickly leader? Pot, meet kettle.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast