starting strength gym
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Women doing SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Is this thread an example of what being nice to each other is like?

Interesting.
    It just might be. These kinds of positive interactions should be discouraged, lest they spread elsewhere.

I don't think I've ever seen one woman lifting anything remotely resembling a heavy weight since I got out of college, and I go to four different gyms. Must just be where I live...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradeep View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen one woman lifting anything remotely resembling a heavy weight since I got out of college, and I go to four different gyms. Must just be where I live...
    I have a 14 y'old female track sprinter who squated 90kg (singles) just before her 14th b'day and DL's 90kg. They're out there.

I've been training my (44 yo) sister since January (about 4 mths).

She has some sort of hip issue probably related to bad sitting habits at work but we're working around that. The hip thing mainly affects her squat and I think we've found out now what the cause is (was) and can start squatting for real again.

At the moment she squats 35kg (77 lbs) for 3x5, presses 25kg (55 lbs) for 3x5, benches 35kg (77 lbs) for 3x8, chins bodyweight (~62kg 136 lbs) for 3x5 and deadlifts 80kg (176 lbs) for 1x5.

Trying to nudge my wife in this direction, but she's stubborn, brainwashed, and hates the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by homerj742 View Post
    Trying to nudge my wife in this direction, but she's stubborn, brainwashed, and hates the gym.
    Me too. My wife is a runner and she has the foot problems to prove it. I've been trying to get her to lift for years. I follow the logs of some of our Sisters-in-Iron. Its refreshing to hear a female perspective. Hopefully, I can learn something and eventually convince my wife that weightlifting will not turn her into a Soviet-era luge athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls21 View Post
    How do you only add 2.5#? Do you have smaller plates?
    Missed this the first time, order 6 Fastenal washers, there is a link somewhere on this board. 4 washers = 2.5 lbs if I remember correctly. They have a 2" or so diameter hole.

In the Microplates thread:
    http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...light=fastenal

ladies, do you all use a women's 15 kg bar or a men's 20 kg?

I don't need the smaller circumference to hook grip so I use the heavier bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Be careful what you wish for getting a woman into the SS routine...

My GF is in great shape and does all the lifts in SS. She is getting certified by Rip in Atlanta. It is great to have her say to me "how did your power cleans go?" Priceless...

BUT, she is a killer at the lifts, her form rocks and she never misses a workout...sometimes a hard act for me to keep up with...LOL

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast