starting strength gym

Thread: Help with my programming? Not sure what to do after SS

Default Help with my programming? Not sure what to do after SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    so back in july, I was doing bill starr's 5x5 (shouldn't have though, I was still a novice) and I managed to get up to a 275x4 HB squat by October. Then I had a couple of injuries, and had to switch to a LB squat and began starting strength in January and ended up with these stats:

squat: 310x5
    deadlift: 320x5 (could easily do more, I increased my deadlifts by 5lbs each time beginning at around 250x5 because I would fuck up if I went up by 10lbs at that point)
    press: 135x3
    bench: 255x1
    clean: 135x3

so 2-3 weeks ago I failed my squats for the first time while doing SS. I did 310x5, went for the second set, and only managed to get 3 reps, and decided to stop doing starting strength because the LB squat gave me horrible elbow tendonitis, which is partially why my clean is shit. I then started 5x5 (which from what I read uses a HB squat). on my first day I finished with a 275x5 HB squat, and now, just 2 weeks later, I already failed while doing 285 (only managed 3 reps...I guess I didn't account for the fact that my LB squat may not carry over as much to my HB squat, so I started too heavy). I also was also still doing the SS method for deadlifts, because I could still increase that lift for a while. so now I basically have no idea what I should do. should I drop all the weight down and do SS again, but with a HB squat, or should I do 5x5 but start at lower weights (except for deads and cleans)? The only thing that concerns me about doing SS again is that I don't know if I'll be able to increase my press or bench press that much. also, I think part of the reason why I failed on 5x5 so quickly was because I'm trying to lose some fat, which is causing all my lifts to go down. 3 weeks ago I think I could of maxed out around a 340 squat, yesterday I only managed 315.

also, some info that may be of use:

im 5'9
    205lbs
    about 20% bf

thanks for any help...and sorry for writing a novel.

Can you narrow your question down to one sentence?

just looking for a program that I can do after SS that uses a high bar squat. or should I just reset SS and use HB this time?

Yes.....if you absolutely feel like the high bar squat is your best alternative AND you have not run through a complete linear progression....then yes....just do the SS program using a high bar squat. After that....any reasonable program that is typically discussed on this board could use a HB squat in place of a LB squat. In my opinion though, it is just a substandard exercise. Less leverage and less muscle mass involved.

Alright, thanks a lot! I know I can't lift as much with HB as I can with LB, but I think its the best alternative for me because of my elbow. I don't want to reset the LB squat because it turns my elbow to shit. Thanks again.

Is elbow tendonitis from LB squatting just a result of improper wrist position (i.e. too extended vs neutral) while holding the bar?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by adnscmplx View Post
    Is elbow tendonitis from LB squatting just a result of improper wrist position (i.e. too extended vs neutral) while holding the bar?
    I have seen it occur with both proper and improper wrist positioning. I think the most important factor is how much of the load is being placed on the hands as compared to the back. In guys that bend over more you see it less. It is much more common in guys that squat more upright.