starting strength gym

Thread: bench question

Default bench question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Coach Rip,

I am an extreme loner and very anti-social. I will not talk to anybody in the gym nor will I ask for a spot.

The power rack in my gym, If i set the pins to one set of holes the barbell is about an inch and a half above my chest. If i set it to one set below that, it is well below my chest.

So my question to you is, can I start the bench with the barbell on the pins that are 1.5 inches above my chest? I think these are called "bottom position bench press in power racks"?

No, you can't and still call it a bench press. Our little idiosyncrasies sometimes cause us inconvenience, don't they?

Hey Harmony,

It's possible to set the pins (and maybe you need to shim the bench with 5# plates to achieve this) at just below your arched chest (because you are arching your back when you bench, right?). You still need to unrack and rack the barbell by yourself during each set but if you start to miss a rep you can relax your chest and the pins will catch the bar.

Of course, then you need to unload the bar completely before getting it back to the starting position, but you shouldn't be missing that many reps in a work set anyway. You also need to be careful while racking the bar so that you don't drop it on your face.

I've done this as a last resort when the gym was completely empty and I couldn't stand the thought of missing a heavy bench workout. But given the option, a good spotter is SO much better.

Tor