starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 day a week 5/3/1 full body

Default 2 day a week 5/3/1 full body

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have followed on Rips program and am currently doing TM. I am looking for a change for two reasons boredom, recovery is taking longer, and time. I am 53 and like a full body approach to lifing. I just finished reading Wendlers 5/3/1 and put togeather the following program. My goal is to continue to gain strength but I am neither a competitor or athlete. What do you think of the routine and do you have any advice?

Thanks

Week 1

Monday
    •Squat - 5/3/1
    •Press - 40%x10, 50%x10, 60%x10
    •Cleans – 5x3
    •Chins – 3 x 10-20
    •Dips - 3 x 10

Thursday
    •Squat - 40%x10, 50%x10, 60%x10
    •Bench Press - 5/3/1
    •Dumbbell Rows - 3 x15
    •Stiff-leg Deadlift - 3x10
    •Barbell Curls - 3 x 10

Week 2

Monday
    •Squat - 40%x5, 50%x5, 60%x5
    •Press - 5/3/1
    •Deadlift - 5/3/1
    •Chins - 3 x 10-20
    •Dips - 3 x 10

Thursday
    •Squat - 40%x10, 50%x10, 60%x10
    •Bench Press - 40%x10, 50%x10, 60%x10
    •Barbell Rows - 3 x8
    •Stiff-leg Deadlift - 3x10
    •Barbell Curls -3 x 10

I like it.

I didn't scour over all the percentages that closely, but by and large it looks reasonable and I think you will do well. As you get into your midforties and certainly into your fifties, I really really like twice per week programs for strength training. Those complete days off become quite necessary.

Here is my challenge to you:

Follow the program for a minimum of 16 weeks. Not deviations. Follow it EXACTLY as you have written out. Do not evaluate and make changes until you reach this date. Too many guys (myself included at times) stop and start programs like these and never really learn anything from them.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Andy thanks for the repy and the challenge. I forgot to ask you about conditioning. I have a prowler. In Wenders book he recommends pushing the prowler on off days. What are your thoughts on this. Would you suggest prowler work on lifting days or off days?

Thanks again

Do it on Tuesday, Fridays, and Saturdays in your current set up. You'll be a fucking beast after 16 weeks of this set up. Eat alot but eat clean.

Dumb question, but does 5/3/1 in this case mean 1 set of 5 followed by 1 set of 3 etc? These would be attempts at PRs right?

No. 5/3/1 in this scenario is a commonly used program designed by Jim Wendler. Go to elitefts.com and order his ebook on the 5/3/1 method. Its worth the $20.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    No. 5/3/1 in this scenario is a commonly used program designed by Jim Wendler. Go to elitefts.com and order his ebook on the 5/3/1 method. Its worth the $20.
    It's on Amazon now too.

Hi Andy,

I've got a somewhat related question to you. I've been progressing nicely on a 4 day split setup you've suggested to me before.

I might relocate to another country, new job, new place etc. That would leave me with a few month (2-3) long period of less time, and other things to do. I'm thinking about training only twice per week during this period.

My question is: What program do you recommend for this twice per week scheme?

I'm either thinking about 5/3/1, but squatting on both workouts, or something TM-like, but in 2 days:

A (Volume):
    Squat 3x5 (around 70-75 percent)
    Paused squat 2-3x3
    Press 6x3 (or 5x5)
    Power Clean / Power Snatch 10x1 (on the minute)
    Chins 3xF

B (Intensity):
    Squat 5x1
    Press 5x1/3x2
    Deadlift 1x1
    Deficit Deadlift 1x5

Would this be a bad idea without the light day?

I like your second idea better. Just try to model whatever it is you are doing now as close as possible in a twice per week model

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Andy!

I've just missed the 5x1 squats two weeks in a row, and I'm thinking to alternate it with 3x2 weekly like I do with my presses. What do you think?

I've also missed my deadlift single this week. I had 413lbs last week, and missed 418lbs today. I had success with singles for three weeks after stalling on a 5/3 reps alternated weekly scheme. What do you usually suggest regarding the deadlift, when the single stalls?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast