starting strength gym
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why does my deadlift suck?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    If one does not do power cleans then what's a suitable thing to do to support efforts in the deadlift? So far I am succeeding in my efforts on the deadlift but if I could be doing something to better my efforts that would be great. I intend to take a class in the power lifts in the spring if they offer it. I didn't feel confident doing them without some instruction and without being able to lift enough weight to use the proper equipment.

Power Cleans often get pushed to the wayside, and after reading this I am kicking myself. To make up for lost efforts would it be a bad idea to PC Mon and Fri and DL Wed?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If one does not do power cleans then what's a suitable thing to do to support efforts in the deadlift? So far I am succeeding in my efforts on the deadlift but if I could be doing something to better my efforts that would be great. I intend to take a class in the power lifts in the spring if they offer it. I didn't feel confident doing them without some instruction and without being able to lift enough weight to use the proper equipment.
    The best thing you can do is to stop being intimidated by them to the point of not trying them. It is a common attitude towards the clean but they are really not even nearly complicated enough to justify such intimidation, especially if you follow the approach as very carefully outlined in the book. It really is just like a deadlift that gets pulled higher. I have seen people go from this attitude to cleaning appropriate weight in the space about ten minutes.

There are other options, but it would be best to not search them out until you have attacked learning and performing the power clean with the same determination as you have the squat and deadlift.

Me working on my clean did shit-all for my deadlift.

More deadlifting helped my deadlift.

I have had to use the fixed curl bars for power clean and that doesn't work very well. So I decided to just work on building strength enough to use proper equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have had to use the fixed curl bars for power clean and that doesn't work very well. So I decided to just work on building strength enough to use proper equipment.
    Ah. Yeah, that won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    No doubt. They are in the program, not because Rip wants people to be good at the Olympic lifts, but because, while he doesn't think it is effective to pull heavy more than once a week after the initial handful of weeks, he appreciates some form of additional pulling needs to be done and power cleans fit his needs well.
    Definitely. If you look at other programs whose genesis can be traced back to Starr, there is always a sizable dose of Olympic pulling for precisely this reason.

Even Westside uses speed pulls semi-frequently and, in the past, many of those guys only deadlifted at meets.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Ah. Yeah, that won't work.
    Yeah, I probably could start doing power cleans with the empty bar, but since they have a class coming up soon, I figure I can go a little while longer and just wait for the class where they will have those big plastic plates that just keep the bar off the ground at the right height. Having a chance to practice with some instruction and be able to fail in front of everybody without fear should help break the ice for me. I'm kinda uncoordinated. For now I do press from the floor so I get in a little practice cleaning up to about 55lbs.

Is there any reason one could not speed deadlift for the same effect if they for whatever reason could not clean?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by s-m View Post
    Is there any reason one could not speed deadlift for the same effect if they for whatever reason could not clean?
    Why not just regular deadlift?

Shrugs are also a good assistance exercise for the clean.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast