starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conditioning question

Default Conditioning question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everybody, I'm new. Apologies if this has been done to death already but:
    I've decided to start starting strength, as I want to get bigger and lift big weights. The problem is, my conditioning also sucks. I don't mean it's average, or worse than average- I mean it's appalling. Never mind setting a time on the 5k, I doubt I could complete one without having to walk
    My question is, can I and should I run at the same time as doing starting strength and can I expect improvements in both? I've been told by a friend that I should start sprinting instead. While I love to sprint, I'm worried that this will affect my recovery.
    My idea was to cut down to 2 weights workouts a week and incorporate some running and interval training, but I'm fairly certain that's exactly the kind of thing I'm not supposed to do.
    As for why I want to do it, I have ambitions to do athletic things other than lift weights. I used to go kayakking a lot, and I want to take that up again as well as climbing, mountain biking, etc.
    I also do a lot of 'accidental cardio'. For example, I cycle to work and I dig trenches, make fences, mend tractors, etc. etc.
    So what should I do? concentrate on strength for a while and address one problem at a time, or cut down to weights workouts and work on conditioning as well?
    Thanks muchly.

Nothing wrong with your plan. If it means anything Wendler often uses a 2x week lifting with lots of conditioning program. I think your right about the sprints affecting your recovery, at least for now. Try starting out with some jogging and increase the duration week by week. I would do this for a couple weeks and then add in some sprints.

Your initial target should be to work up to being able to run without stopping for 20 minutes at a steady pace. Don't dive into high intensity sprints and interval training without building a basic level of aerobic conditioning and strength.

You need to give your cardiovascular system, joints and ligaments time to adapt. Your work capacity will rapidly increase.

Nothing wrong with your plan. If it means anything Wendler often uses a 2x week lifting with lots of conditioning program. I think your right about the sprints affecting your recovery, at least for now. Try starting out with some jogging and increase the duration week by week. I would do this for a couple weeks and then add in some sprints.
    Ah, cool. I'll get on it right away then
    Your initial target should be to work up to being able to run without stopping for 20 minutes at a steady pace. Don't dive into high intensity sprints and interval training without building a basic level of aerobic conditioning and strength.
    I was thinking in terms of this: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Thanks people.
    Last edited by The dog; 06-27-2012 at 11:51 AM.

C25K is a very mild progression and not likely to interfere with recovery much if at all. You might even be able to do it while lifting three days a week

Why do you need to be able to run a 5K?

That's what they make cars for.

I'm not joking.

Unless you enjoy running or need it for your job, being able to run a 45 minute or even 30 minute 5K isn't doing shit for you...

C25K is designed to make really fat, out of shape people feel good about jogging a 5K slower than they could have walked the fucking thing. True story.

If you want to do other athletic things, do those things. Don't jog slowly.

if you can't run 5k, you're not an athlete

you can just do a heavy conditioning workout after lifting with SS. it will suck balls, but you can do it.

The book "Fit" by Kilgore et al. really summarizes some of the best ways to program conditioning with lifting.

I knew I needed some conditioning when I couldn't run to my next connecting flight at Detroit airport without stopping for air. (First flight was late coming in and second one ended up being canceled anyway.)

starting strength coach development program
    I think a basic novice progression for a few months would set a great foundation for the soft and hard tissue durability necessary for higher intensity efforts. You can walk in the mornings to help develop what you label as "atrocious" conditioning as well. I would be hesitant to add jogging or sprinting during a novice progression. You'll only really be able to continue a novice progression for a few months if you do it right, at which point you can switch over to something like 5/3/1 "Just North of Vag" which incorporates ~2 days a week of conditioning with a slower progression of strength. I think short duration high intensity stuff is more than enough for any non-specific conditioning.

But then again, if you're not preparing for anything in particular, strength training beyond a novice level and continuing to move weights in the gym with normal daily activity supplemented with more walking would be sufficient.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast