starting strength gym

Thread: Better dumbbell - bowflex or powerblock?

Default Better dumbbell - bowflex or powerblock?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm looking for a little advice on the better of two dumbbell sets. I'm sure most of you have seen or heard of the bowflex adjustable dumbbells as well as the power block brand. Each is pretty expensive, but would be perfect for someone that has very limited space (like myself).

I've never seen or tried the powerblock, but have tried the bowflex at Dick's, as they sell it there.

I want to get the weights that range up to 90 lbs., or it won't be very useful for me.

Does anyone: (1) have any thoughts about which one is superior and (2) know of the best place to purchase at the lowest price...I'm not opposed to used, if it still functions.

Thanks.

Beast

i use bizrate.com for stuff like this and craigslist for used. used will be hard to find the bowflex look like they can roll away on you to me

They're both not good.

If space is at a premium: get empty dumbbell bars that take 2 inch plates. At least then the plates will be usable with a olympic bar later. Loading less than 10 lb jumps evenly will be a pain, and the lifts will be ghettoized, but eh.

I like Ironmaster better than the other two. JMO.

Ironmaster Dumbbells

Powerblocks are better - quicker to change the weight (no dorking around lining the weights up), simpler construction, upgradable on some types, solid, durable...

After further searching, I agree with you, Bryan M. I'm just going to get olympic sized dumbbell handles in lieu of anything else. I will need to purchase a few extra 25's and 10's, but that is a helluva lot cheaper than the alternative.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

starting strength coach development program
    So, now that I need the olympic dumbbell handles, what would be a recommendation?

You can go cheap and get a set of handles with an EZ curl bar at Sears for $60 (Gold's Gym Brand) - I think.

Body Solid had them at around $80/pair, and they looked like quality pieces.

I even read about someone buying steel pipe from Home Depot and using hose clamps to keep the weight from sliding to your hands. The only disadvantage (or advantage) is the use of a larger than "normal" grip diameter from the bar. That would definitely be the cheapest way to go...and most creative.

I also saw a lot of Troys for sale online...but the body solid ones look the best. Unfortunately, I don't care about looks, I want durability and a reasonable price.

Suggestions??