starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ido Portal

Default Ido Portal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Am I the only only one on this board that finds this stuff inspiring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwIqDuJXAME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFCJKPElto

Now I know this is a Barbell-centric forum. The likes of wendler, rip, starr, and gallagher are prevalent around these parts.
    But I figured there are some people just getting into strength training that have never considered the possibility of achieving feats such as one arm handstands, planches, one arm chins, tumbling skills, etc...

I have abandoned all barbell training for my upper body for the last 8 months, doing basically gymnastics+capoeira+some weighted dips/chins.

If anyone is feeling bored/stuck regarding barbell training, I highly recommend giving bodyweight feats a try. I have never been leaner nor stronger in the upper body in my entire life. I have found achieving full, freestanfing, knuckle to shoulder handstand pushups far more entertaining and rewarding than trying to eek out another 5-10 lbs on my bench.

Thoughts? Anyone else here interested in achieving such feats, but feel overwhelmed by how to go about training them?

his stuff is pretty cool. but hes a colossal douchebag.

It'd be cooler if anything more than basic gymnastics was in any of these videos.

Also, gymnastics is cool and all, but it's not strength training. It's also largely impossible to do most of this stuff at heavier bodyweights, particularly if you've got large legs. Which rules out any chance of doing this whilst also being able to squat heavy.

I have that building the gymnastic body book as when i first moved here i had no money and no job. Thee progressions are hard and going from a simple frog tuck to even halfway into a full planche takes an incredibly long time. Seems like it's only added by the age you choose too take it up at.
    Dont get me wrong though. All that stuff is impressive and i love it.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Also, gymnastics is cool and all, but it's not strength training.
    Yes, it is. It just takes understanding of the decreased leverage concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    I have that building the gymnastic body book as when i first moved here i had no money and no job. Thee progressions are hard and going from a simple frog tuck to even halfway into a full planche takes an incredibly long time. Seems like it's only added by the age you choose too take it up at.
    Frogstand to Adv. Frogstand to Tuck Planche are very big steps. If you look at Ido Portal's notes on his facebook page, he has an intermediate step which is band assisted Tuck Planche. The new book from BtGB also has alternative progressions, such as planche leans and such.

I used to want to get into this stuff and kettlebells but I really think you have to serve one master and barbells are the best way to get maximally strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke S View Post
    Yes, it is. It just takes understanding of the decreased leverage concept.
    Gymnastics will make you stronger, up to a point at least. However, gymnastics is not strength training because it takes too much skill, and is only favourable to certain body types.

I think gymnastics feats are pretty impressive. I stick to barbell training because progression is more straightforward -- the reward/effort ratio is just higher for me. I did try some bodyweight and gymnastics stuff briefly while I was shedding some bodyfat (I basically did 5/3/1 with all-bodyweight assistance). I even got a set of gymnastics rings and incorporated static holds, ring push-ups, dips, rows, etc. They really work muscles you didn't even know you had. I had less luck with planche progressions. My frogstand workouts were basically 20xfaceplants for the first few days, then gradually I could hold the position for a few seconds, then about 30 seconds or so. Then I moved to the next highest variation, and pretty much reset to 20xfaceplants, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    My frogstand workouts were basically 20xfaceplants for the first few days, then gradually I could hold the position for a few seconds, then about 30 seconds or so. Then I moved to the next highest variation, and pretty much reset to 20xfaceplants, LOL.
    Was looking for some info on bodyweight/gymnastic training and found this - hahahaha - exactly the same here! I've put some cushions in front of ,me after getting a carpet burn on my face.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't like it because its too hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast