starting strength gym

Thread: Since ICNDTFP, critique my rehab program

Default Since ICNDTFP, critique my rehab program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As I stated in the other thread, I blew out my achilles tendon, and ICNDTFP. I have surgery scheduled in a little less than 3 weeks, and I've spent the past two weeks at the gym on crutches, trying to see what does/doesn't work. I've also looked at what my therapy might be post-op here and here, and I'm going to leave it up to the PT to deal with my leg below the knee. The rest is my responsibility.

My goals for the next 9-10 weeks(from today until I can ditch my crutches) are to maintain/enhance strength on all non-involved body parts while my Achilles tendon heals, while absolutely avoiding any situation where the tendon can be stressed, even by accident. Since I can't squat or dead, PC or standing press, I'm also increasing my volume:

Workout A
    Weighted crunch(30repsX3 , LP weight as much as practical )
    Weighted Pushup, cross bad leg over good(10X3, LP weight)
    Leg Extension(both legs, 5X3, LP)
    Leg Press(good leg only, 5X3, LP)
    Resistance band, hooked on knee(bad leg only, to failure or 20 reps, all dimensions of movement)
    Seated Dumbbell Press(5X3, LP)(early post-op, I will move to a machine to avoid stress on leg)

Workout B
    Same as A, substitute DB Bench for DB Press--pre-op legs will be on ground. Early Post Op, legs will be in air.

Workout C
    Close grip reverse lat pulldown(5X3, LP)--I can't do a proper chinup, and I don't want to be in a position where I might fall by doing an assisted chin
    Power Rack Row (5X3, LP) -- One barbell, heavily weighted, at knee height. Second barbell, weighted, at waist height. Third barbell w/ work weight, on floor. Hook knees on weighted barbell, lean over unweighted barbell, pull weight from floor.
    LB Machine(5X3, LP)*--Yes, it is a "silly little machine". However, if doing rows from the power rack doesn't work the erectors, I may need to add it.
    Supplemental Grip Training--Ivanko Grippers, or anything else someone can suggest that I can LP the resistance.

Schedule:
    MWF(alternate A and B)
    TTh(C)

With the exception of the two weeks immediately after surgery, I will be doing this program from tomorrow up until I am off crutches. During the two weeks that I'll be homebound, I'll be using my 45lb dumbbells to do stuff, and use a resistance band to work the bad leg.

Thoughts?

The main thing I'd suggest is to work both legs with the resistance band instead of one leg with the resistance band and the other with the leg press. Just to make sure everything's balanced.

Also, it looks like the general structure is a push/pull split, with 3 push days per week and 2 pull days. To keep everything balanced, I'd either organize it so I'm doing 2 push days and 2 pull days, or vary it so that every other week I'm doing 3 pull days and 2 push days.

That's what you get for being morbidly obese and quarter squatting, I don't like saying it but that's the truth.