starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tendons -rest

Default tendons -rest

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    goodmorning,

i have been doing SS for about 7 weeks now. I am 187lbs and 6'3. Started with what I think was low:

SQ: 35kg
    BP: 50 kg
    P: 30kg
    DL: 40kg

After 4 weeks my squat was at 55 kg but I had to stop due to tendinosis of the rectus femoris at the hip (probably due to bad form) 3 weeks have past but still can’t go at parallel without pain. I am taking ibuprofen for this.

My stats then were:

SQ: 55kg
    BP: 60kg
    P: 40kg
    DL: 65kg
    Since then I didn’t do any squats. Once in a while I tried to see with an empty bar how deep I could go.
    I incorporated some dips because only doing 2 exercises per trainingsession was too little.

My stats now:

SQ: x
    BP: 70kg: last rep of last set was almost at failure: so now I bought 0.5kg (1.1lbs) plates to start microloading
    P: 42.5: was stuck at this weight for the last 3 sessions. Will also start microloading, or if too hard, drop 10%
    DL:80: first time I felt I worked the hamstrings!
    Dips: 3*5 with bodyweight.

The last time I did dips I felt some pain in my triceps tendon at the elbow, which was very minor, but now 2 days later without doing any exercise it became much worse… Was normally going to do BP today but I’am afraid it will make things worse.

My thoughts now are that SS is too hard for my tendons so I will rest for a week, do some very light cardio and then drop everything with 10% and see how it goes. Hopefully I will be able to do squats again very soon and my triceps will be healed.

Any thoughts or other experiences with similar injuries and how to proceed?

thanks

Shouldn't have stopped squatting. Having dealt with tendinitis, you have to train through it.

Don't do dips, do the program as is. If you're uncertain as to why you shouldn't or why you should follow the program as outlined then you should get the book and read it. It's really worth your while.

Post a form check video in the Technique forum. Be sure to read the sticky before recording your lift.

thanks for the advice but rest seems to be the only option. Squats only made it worse, till the point that I couldn't sleep from the pain. And I did dips because the book sees it as a good assisted exercise. I am going to work further on my technique on will put up some form check video's.

Post a video (after reading the sticky on how to film the video) but in the coaches' forum. It would be surprising if you do not have a form issue.

Perfect form, anti-inflammatory medication (lots and regularly), and foam rolling will probably get you moving forward.

Depending on where you are in the world, and in person training session with a Starting Strength coach would be worth the time and money, likewise attending an SS seminar would be helpful.

I'm actually from Europe, Belgium, so there's probably no chance of finding a starting strength coach around here. So i'll be posting some form videos.

Tried to squat with 50lbs today, and it still hurt like a biatch. I watched my form: feet shoulder with and at 30°, knees bending out, used the TUBOW, hip drive... Stopped after 2 sets of 5. Will start with some foam rolling now.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Blount View Post
    How do you think the tendon acquired disease in the first place?
    Probably by squatting improperly, which is how I managed to do it. Having someone tell me "knees out" would have been hugely appreciated, looking back.

Also, tendinitis is only a disease if you're using the broadest sense of the word, which would also include blunt force trauma.

it's actually tendinosis and not tendinitis

My dear tendons acted up twice. The first time was a classic form error. As soon as I developed the pain I corrected my form and pain was gone in na hurry. The second one was not due to a direct form error. It was so that the grip I used was correct for most, but not for me individually. I was very stubborn in changing that - so I had to suffer the pain for a long time until I changed the grip to another form. In days after changing the grip the issue was one of the past.

If it hurts, you are doing something wrong. Instead of resting or working through it one should remove the cause. Otherwise it will stay or come back. In the second case I did exercises that work the opposing muscles in order to create balance. It helped but did not remove the problem.

From my own experience neither camp (resting, working through, doing "healing" exercises) is right for the problems I had. Removing the cause is best.

I can't wait until someone links that garbage Jonathan Sullivan piece
    You should not wait until someone else posts the link to the article as well as the original articles.

You can quote the parts of the articles and then comment them. Then we could discuss the issues based on facts and not on your "esteemed" expression ("garbage") of your opinions. I am no friend of NSAIDS as I have dealt with a great number of people severly ill due to them.

I agree that NSAIDS don't repair connective tissue. That is not their action. They do help in avoiding damage through excessive inflammation (not the case with tendinitis. And yes, tendinosis is not an inflammation issue. NSAIDS help when one wants to work through pain. But doing so is counterproductive. Using pain meds for this is , imo, a doping.

The thread was titled something like, "lets nerd the fuck out: paging dr Sullivan" (has since been censored by the thought police)
    If your posts were written in the same or similar tone than this one before you edited it (Iread the original):

Thread: Has anyone checked Narvaez' novice program? Post #44

crassed
    it is no wonder that it was censored. You sensored the above post yourself. You can write anything you want on the Internet. But if you place your stuff on someones forum, he has the right to censor out highly inappropriate/offensiv stuff. If you want people to respect your opinion, abstain from being that derogative.

starting strength coach development program
    thats alway the default answer around here. What if they are squatting properly??? Or is it impossible that a correctly executed squat could cause tendonitis on a typical linear progression??
    Of course it's the default answer. Is it possible that form isn't the issue? Sure. But since it is the issue 99% of the time, why not address that first?

I don't have any issue with what you're posting, but you could definitely improve how you're posting. If Rip censored something you put up, it's almost certainly not because of the content, but how you're presenting it. He lets plenty of contrary opinions fly, and sometimes we have good discussions about it.

The few times I've seen him actually delete something, it's because it was a personal attack against someone else. If you don't want your stuff deleted, don't be a dick. There are ways to say you disagree with someone without calling them a fraud or a fag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast