starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DL Form Check

Default DL Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm resetting my deadlift to 225, because my rest between reps was becoming really excessive at 275 and I felt like I was cheating too much. I'd appreciate it if you guys could take a look at this, since I have no training partners or coach - doing everything out of my basement with some rubber flooring and an iron bar.

225 lbs deadlift, link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5dvGP4D33w

Also curious what you think of a previous rep I filmed at 275. I thought this looked shady:

275 lbs deadlift (1x after a set of 5): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVCIA5HzQSI

My Stats:

5'8, 176 lbs
    OHP 97.5
    BP 147.5
    Squat 215
    Chin 2 sets of 5 with +30 lbs from dip belt

I have been on SS for about 2 months. I started with basically nothing - I could barely OHP the bar to begin, and was benching the bar. Could only do one or two chinups.

Thanks guys,
    -skinnyfatdude

Take a look at your bar path and notice how it is far from straight. There is a wonderful deadlift setup mentioned in Starting Strength and on numerous deadlift checks on this board. It will help you get your shoulders in front of the bar where they should be.

OK, after reading and staring at this a bunch, I think I clearly am not gripping the bar and then pushing my chest up, even though it felt like I was doing that. I need to be more conscious of it. So I'll spare you guys that part of the instruction - how'd everything else look? I am a terrible judge of back extension.

I posted another video of one rep to try to fix my setup issues. I tried to follow the setup instructions precisely and really be conscious of them. I did the following to setup:

1) Position bar over mid-foot while standing up
    2) Grip bar
    3) Stick chest up until shins touch bar

Link to new video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQbtumuTpiw

You are starting too far from the bar. You want your shins to be an inch away when you are getting ready to pull. If you follow the setup steps, which you seem to be making an effort to do, this will result in a more horizontal back angle than the one you currently have. Your shoulders will be in front of the bar and when you pull, the bar will move straight up (more or less). Right now the bar swings noticeably back toward your legs.

TomC, how are you able to watch those vids with the camera tilted like that?

Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    TomC, how are you able to watch those vids with the camera tilted like that?
    It's a secret.

Because I am going to keep trying until it's right, here's me deadlifting 235 today. This actually felt much better - the weight was much easier to lift. It felt like the lift was a little shorter. My conditioning needs work, though, because I was running out of breath inbetween reps. I'm used to standing up and breathing between reps, so this new pattern is different for me. I had done tons of warmups at 185, trying to nail down form, so that's a contributor I guess.

Also setup a new camera position with minimal tilt and more lighting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDjzqwwt-BQ

Thanks again for all your help, guys.

This looks better than your previous videos. But do you not understand the concept of back extension? Also, stand up straight at the top.

starting strength coach development program
    I did at least a dozen warmups trying to extend more. I can't extend more from this position without bending my knees further to start, but i thought that was contrary to the setup procedure. I have short arms, so i have difficulty reaching the bar from the setup position.

Next time i can try dropping my hips lower on setup and that should put me closer to the bar, and hopefully lead to more extension...
    Last edited by skinnyfatdude; 12-10-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast