starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your splits ...

Default Show me your splits ...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Currently on The TM, all my lifts are progressing except my deadlift which has regressed.

Tom C is helping me as he thinks it could be a form issue.

In general, I prefer the idea of a split and focusing one main lift per day. With that in mind, and my deadlift progress, I've been thinking about changing to a split routine. I can't find an awful lot of information on them so I'd appreciate it if you'd show me how yours is set up and how well it's working for you.

If you want you can check my log out. I haven't been doing mine for very long though.
    Angry kittens is better than mine for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    You couldn't find 5/3/1? I'm doing Kitten Urban Assault. Last time I did it I lost weight and added around 100lb to my total in 4-5 months.
    I didn't realize you got that much out of it dood. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    You couldn't find 5/3/1? I'm doing Kitten Urban Assault. Last time I did it I lost weight and added around 100lb to my total in 4-5 months.
    Yeah I've read plenty on that. Seems progress is a bit slow on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    Yeah I've read plenty on that. Seems progress is a bit slow on it.
    5/3/1 is a little slower, since you are programming with 90% of your max. Kitten smash moves up pretty quickly. Basically you start with 90% of your max and move up from there for the heavy work. If you are taking big enough jumps, you will be in PR territory soon enough.

On a TM split, you can have a dedicated DL day. Just do your volume squats after your intensity DL's. One set of DL's may not be enough for you to progress though.

Angry kittens!?

Angry kittens!?
    It is in the 4x4 thread in the programming section. It is a 4 day split routine that is similar to TM.

Although I do not do TM, my split is essentially this:

Monday: Volume Upper
    Tuesday: Off
    Wednesday: Heavy Lower
    Thursday: Conditioning
    Friday: Heavy Upper
    Saturday: Volume Lower
    Sunday: Conditioning

I alternate between a heavy squat and a heavy deadlift in the 1-3 rep range on Wednesdays. I do a little backoff work with opposite movement afterwards. I do squat volume work every week on Saturday. If you care a lot about pressing overhead, you could do the same thing on Friday.

Some SS-friendly examples:
    Wednesday Workout:
    Week 1: Rack Pull 3RM, Front Squats 3x3
    Week 2: Squat 3RM, RDL 3x8

Friday Workout:
    Week 1: Bench 3RM, Dumbbell Work
    Week 2: Press 3RM, Dips

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    5/3/1 is a little slower, since you are programming with 90% of your max. Kitten smash moves up pretty quickly. Basically you start with 90% of your max and move up from there for the heavy work. If you are taking big enough jumps, you will be in PR territory soon enough.

On a TM split, you can have a dedicated DL day. Just do your volume squats after your intensity DL's. One set of DL's may not be enough for you to progress though.
    I beleive it's just called a split as TM is it's own program.

The difficulty I'm having is that I want to squat twice a week and deadlift once. But that's basically TM.

Are there splits that have you squatting once a week and enable you to progress every week? What sort of set/rep scheme would be ideal for squatting once a week?

starting strength coach development program
    I beleive it's just called a split as TM is it's own program.

The difficulty I'm having is that I want to squat twice a week and deadlift once. But that's basically TM.

Are there splits that have you squatting once a week and enable you to progress every week? What sort of set/rep scheme would be ideal for squatting once a week?
    Everyone calls it a TM split just because its the same rep scheme.

To answer you question, you can do either one of the things you suggest. Look at my log for a single day rep scheme (angry kittens also does daily periodization) or you could do a volume squat day on Tuesday and a intensity day with deads on Friday. Or vice versa.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast