starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who can press more than body weight?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have/can press bodyweight (best is a single with 170), but I did semi-embarrassingly fail to press a not so heavy girl over my head. It's too bad that gyms don't have progressively heavier girls lined up to press instead of just barbells/dumbbells, to practice for such an occasion...

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I have been training for a year and a half, and still do not have bodyweight BENCH press. I still hold out hope for a BW press some day though.

Its very frustrating when I see newbie kids in the gym with terrible technique and no knowledge of training press more overhead than I do with bench press without trying very hard.

Somepeople do just naturally have very strong upper bodies with broad shoulders. I notice (where I live at least) the black guys of carribean origin especially have massive shoulders and the ability to bench & press massive amounts even with very low bodyweight and little training.

Most the black guys I see training can standing press more than they can squat.
    Do you do weighted dips at all? Personally when I started doing those I found they really helped boost my progress on the presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Heraclitus View Post
    Do you do weighted dips at all? Personally when I started doing those I found they really helped boost my progress on the presses.
    I used to do weighted dips last year before I started SS. They didnt really help. My weakness is my shoulders, dips only really worked triceps strongly and shoulders less than bench pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    I have/can press bodyweight (best is a single with 170), but I did semi-embarrassingly fail to press a not so heavy girl over my head. It's too bad that gyms don't have progressively heavier girls lined up to press instead of just barbells/dumbbells, to practice for such an occasion...
    i

did u at least get to put your hand on her butt?

Heraclitus,
    I was not a rank novice when starting SS. I've been lifting for about 11 years with 1 year off when I was like 18-19 to party. I had done alot of seated DB pressing, and benching which have some carryover (but also lead to the torn labrum I think). I only mention back to last July because that is when I finally started to train intelligently (I never used to squat. I know, gay).
    I'm not trying to say that anyone can hit a BW press in a year, I am just saying that since you are making progress still, you might as well keep it simple as long as possible. And don't be scared to gain weight, I was about 200 when I had a 180 press. I thought gaining weight would screw up my BW press goal since it would raise the number I needed to hit (damn cf mentallity). Fuck that, just get stronger in an intelligent manner.

Quote Originally Posted by MEbigUsmall View Post
    i

did u at least get to put your hand on her butt?
    Not as such.

Actually, when I realized that I've pressed 170 but couldn't press like a ~115-120 lb girl easily over my head (regardless or not of whether there's good technique to do so), I had a moment of "why do I even lift weights if I can't do this?"

Not as such.

Actually, when I realized that I've pressed 170 but couldn't press like a ~115-120 lb girl easily over my head (regardless or not of whether there's good technique to do so), I had a moment of "why do I even lift weights if I can't do this?"
    I have these moments often.

I'm sure you realize that you just need an enormous surplus of barbell strength to do similarly weighted stuff that isn't as nicely balanced and able to be gripped as a barbell: something on the order of double the barbell strength. If you could press, say, 250 with a barbell, THEN a 120-lb girl won't present a problem.

This is also when I realize that "raw" really isn't that raw. Lifting rocks and large mammals is raw. Barbells make things artificially easy.

End of thread jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    I have these moments often.

I'm sure you realize that you just need an enormous surplus of barbell strength to do similarly weighted stuff that isn't as nicely balanced and able to be gripped as a barbell: something on the order of double the barbell strength. If you could press, say, 250 with a barbell, THEN a 120-lb girl won't present a problem.

This is also when I realize that "raw" really isn't that raw. Lifting rocks and large mammals is raw. Barbells make things artificially easy.

End of thread jack.
    115-120 is probably in the neighborhood of an 8-10 rep max for me with a barbell (my 1 RM is higher than would be predicted by repping out for whatever reason), which works out to pretty close to a 1 rep max people press at the same weight, seemingly, so you're definitely looking at a pretty steep dropoff in "real world" strength between the two. If you define "real world strength" as picking up girls in a bar, I guess. That might have been a double entendre.
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 08-09-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Not as such.

I feel the same sometimes. Its sort of different but I am really slow and weak uncoordinated when trying to do something like throw a punch. Sometimes I feel so weak that I feel like could be pushed over. I cant bench and squat about 225, Dip 45, chin 25, which isn't that impressive but I should feel less like 5'7 180 pound piece of shit.

starting strength coach development program
    I tried to floor press someone who weighs about 80kg, couldnt lock out though. I think if i'd loaded it a bit differently, i woulda got it, because my strong hand was doing less work than the weaker one. It is interesting how different it is than a barbell which I could rep at that weight.

Ive also tried squatting someone much less than what I can squat with a barbell, if you hit depth it's exceedingly hard.

This should be a seperate thread..
    Last edited by msingh; 08-09-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast