Default Need assistance with diet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

Just some quick stats:
    28 male
    6'2 245lbs
    BF%- my calipers say 22% but I posted a pic on a forum and I'm getting 33%. Its a big difference. Would you be able to give me your take if I post the pic?
    Current caloric intake 2370- 207gr pro/178gr carbs/92gr fat

I started training for the first time in my life April 19th, 2014 on SS
    Current lifts in Lbs:
    Squat-200 (Started at 75)
    Bench-175 (Started at 115)
    Over Press- 105 (Started at 65)
    Deads-275 (Started at 95)
    Cleans-100 (just started them this week)

I started the program at 256lbs. My main goal was fat loss while maintaining the little muscle I had and possibly gaining some. I was doing fine until a 1 1/2 months ago where I stalled, on everything. I was losing a pound a week eating in a 500 cal deficit while getting stronger. It has all stopped. I am looking for the best possible way to continue losing fat while getting stronger, if possible. I know the book says it isn't. What are my options at this point?
    My primary goal is fat loss. I have the type of fat that's very jiggly on my stomach and love handles.
    I was tracking my calories too, eating mostly whole foods, but no mater what, I made sure not to go over my macros.
    I read a lot of contradicting things online, probably mostly bro science.

Example: multiple small meals don't matter any more. Your body can't tell the difference. Just eat 3 big meals.
    -Don't worry about eating clean, Your body can't tell the difference. Just be in a deficit and make sure you don't go over. Eat what you want.
    -You need to eat super clean, like a competition diet.
    -Intermittent fasting works.
    -Intermittent fasting is bullshit.
    -You need 6-7 meals a day
    -You need cardio
    -You don't need cardio. Weight lifting alone is fine.

You get the point. What exactly do I need to do? If I forgot to add something that you require, just ask. I am extremely frustrated and confused.

Also, I have been trying to access a page on your site that was recommended to me but have been unable to read it:
    http://www.barbellmedicine.com/2012/07/29/584/

Do you have it available somewhere?

Thanks in advance Jordan,

-Anthony

Anthony,

Thanks for posting. I'm not sure what page you're looking for on my website so I can't help you there. Let me know what the page is/was supposed to be and I'll find it.

As far as what you should do, exactly: IMO you should eat 3-5 meals/day, 3-5hrs in between them, made up of single ingredient foods, at a calorie level that produces slow weight loss. At your current weight, age, etc. I wouldn't expect you to be stalling unless your technique or recovery is very bad. Any insight into this? I think conditioning might have a place, perhaps 1x/wk with my bias being towards HIIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Anthony,

Thanks for posting. I'm not sure what page you're looking for on my website so I can't help you there. Let me know what the page is/was supposed to be and I'll find it.

As far as what you should do, exactly: IMO you should eat 3-5 meals/day, 3-5hrs in between them, made up of single ingredient foods, at a calorie level that produces slow weight loss. At your current weight, age, etc. I wouldn't expect you to be stalling unless your technique or recovery is very bad. Any insight into this? I think conditioning might have a place, perhaps 1x/wk with my bias being towards HIIT.
    Thanks for the response.
    I posted the page I was looking for in the above post - http://www.barbellmedicine.com/2012/07/29/584/
    I do not know what was on the page because I was never able to load it. It was down when someone posted it for me to read.

I had a training session with a SS coach and stated overall my lifts weren't bad, technique wise. As far as recovery, I rest 3-5 min between sets and do not exercise at all aside from doing the program Mon, Wed, Fri.
    Wouldn't being in a slight deficit be worse for a stall? I wasn't increasing the weight on the bar when I was eating maintenance which I calculated at 3,000 cals/day.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeFat View Post
    Thanks for the response.
    I posted the page I was looking for in the above post - http://www.barbellmedicine.com/2012/07/29/584/
    I do not know what was on the page because I was never able to load it. It was down when someone posted it for me to read.
    Ah yes, after the reformat a lot of the previously linked material has a different URL. Sorry.

Wouldn't being in a slight deficit be worse for a stall? I wasn't increasing the weight on the bar when I was eating maintenance which I calculated at 3,000 cals/day.
    Given your age, weight, etc. I do not think you'll be stalled forever even on a deficit. I just think you outstripped your recovery process because your work capacity (baseline fitness) was not very well developed from previous training/life activity. So a reset is in order and I suspect you'll go further than you did previously.

Thanks for the response.
    Ah yes, after the reformat a lot of the previously linked material has a different URL. Sorry.

Given your age, weight, etc. I do not think you'll be stalled forever even on a deficit. I just think you outstripped your recovery process because your work capacity (baseline fitness) was not very well developed from previous training/life activity. So a reset is in order and I suspect you'll go further than you did previously.

This thing is, is that I reset multiple times and got to the same point I was at before and stalled again. With that said, do you think eating at maintenance is a good idea? Would I lose fat that way or do you think I should still be in a deficit? If a deficit is where I need to be, how would I continue adding weight to the bar if I reset and stalled multiple times?

Internet Archive says it is the "To Be a Beast" article:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20131202...012/07/29/584/

The new address is similar to the old one, only the date has been replaced with "category": http://www.barbellmedicine.com/uncategorized/584

This thing is, is that I reset multiple times and got to the same point I was at before and stalled again. With that said, do you think eating at maintenance is a good idea? Would I lose fat that way or do you think I should still be in a deficit? If a deficit is where I need to be, how would I continue adding weight to the bar if I reset and stalled multiple times?
    Well if you're eating at maintenance and are no longer a true novice, I highly doubt you'll lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Still I think you can slowly lose fat and gain strength. Here's exactly what I would do:

1) Switch upper body training to texas method style
    2) Switch squat training to advanced novice
    3)eat 250g protein, 250g carb, and enough fat to slowly take your weight down over time.
    4) Have lots of sex, sleep well, meditate.

Have lots of sex
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1209Mvazw

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by way View Post
    Internet Archive says it is the "To Be a Beast" article:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20131202...012/07/29/584/

The new address is similar to the old one, only the date has been replaced with "category": http://www.barbellmedicine.com/uncategorized/584
    Aces bro! Thanks a lot.

Well if you're eating at maintenance and are no longer a true novice, I highly doubt you'll lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Still I think you can slowly lose fat and gain strength. Here's exactly what I would do:

1) Switch upper body training to texas method style
    2) Switch squat training to advanced novice
    3)eat 250g protein, 250g carb, and enough fat to slowly take your weight down over time.
    4) Have lots of sex, sleep well, meditate.
    Well, the thing is Jordan, is that I never said I am no longer a true novice. In fact, I think with a 200lb squat and 280lb deadlift, I'm still definitely a novice. Now are you saying regardless of the pussy weight I am lifting, because I have stalled multiple times, that's a sign to change it up? Could someone no longer be a novice even at these work set weights?
    How can I still slowly lose fat and gain strength? By eating maintenance or in a deficit?

Thanks Jordan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast