starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost passed out doing light clean and then was spazzing out.

Default Almost passed out doing light clean and then was spazzing out.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know this has been disscessed on here before but I am not using the search function properly.

Any way I was was doing some curls and weighted dips cause I couldn't make it to the gym today cause they close so frggin early

Any way after doing some of those exercises, i did a max ez curl with a 45 on each side just for kicks lol
    I then waited a few seconds and procedded to practice stretching in deadlift form with hips high as possible with chest high and back in full ext,since i tent to tifhten up and need work on it.
    M I was holding my breath deeply trying to use the vulsulva to hold my chest hight and work on stablility whith out lowering my hips. So with a full breath I cleaned it to the shoulders and then pressed above head fine. I started to feel headed on the press but then pretty much dropped the bar with a hint of putting it down, but then was like spazzing out on the floor with legs shaking and couldn't get up for a few secondsdo to loss of balance and coherence. I was half conscious and had wobbly legs and I was on my hands and knees for a few with our fully remenmnering much.

Is this normal, I thought I was was meant to hold my breath. Do I just need practice.? I'm sure this is a common question so thanks is advance for not giving me shit. I help a giant breath the whole way through?

I’m pretty sure you just made yourself pass out.

When cleaning, a deep breath and valsalva is good for the initial part of the lift, but you should let your breath just do what it’s going to do when you get to the explosive part. And you should definitely let yourself breathe after you rack the clean, before you press or jerk. I’m not at all surprised that you passed out if you made it a point to hold your breath through the entire thing.

Trembling and twitching (AKA spazzinesss) often accompany fainting. And when you faint, you lose consciousness. Not being able to remember what happened while you were unconscious/semiconscious is normal.

As long as you pretty much fully recovered and felt totally normal shortly afterwards (with the exception maybe of feeling a little tired) and didn’t, like, hit your head on anything when you were spazzing, you should be fine. Just don’t do that to yourself again--a gym has lots of hard surfaces and sharp edges, and you don’t want to be fainting in a place like that.

I am not laughing at you. I swear. Maybe Sully will chime in, as he knows syncope. But I’m fairly sure he’ll tell you that you just found out what it feels like to faint.

Also, are you sure you didn’t clean wrong and put pressure on your throat with the bar? That makes people pass out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    Also, are you sure you didn’t clean wrong and put pressure on your throat with the bar? That makes people pass out all the time.
    That happens? Maybe it massages the carotid arteries which triggers the parasympathetic nervous system..

Quote Originally Posted by Wyjowe View Post
    That happens? Maybe it massages the carotid arteries which triggers the parasympathetic nervous system..
    Yes. I've seen it happen to people.

Just making sure a full breath held throughout was not the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by MEbigUsmall View Post
    But it could very well have been the cause. It is a very likely cause.

The other thing is another possible cause. But holding your breath through the whole thing is more likely. Don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by MEbigUsmall View Post
    It was most likely the cause. One time, I held my breath during a power clean and felt a bit unsteady. I lowered the barbell to the ground and stood up. Next thing I know I'm getting up off the floor on my scratched up elbow and notice that the back of my head hurts. I did manage to finish my workout that day.

I thought holding the one breath was ideal for support.

starting strength coach development program
    valsalva is good to make your torso rigid and protect your lower back...but you can't do it forever. the opportunity cost is breathing.

i've had a similar exerience when losing a grappling match getting choked. only my bell was rung and had massive tinitus. i'd bet with a large exertion and somewhat compression with a bar you could get a similar effect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast