starting strength gym

Thread: Wrist pain during squats

Default Wrist pain during squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm having an issue with bar positioning on the low bar squats. I try to push the palm of my hands against the bar using the thumbless grip, but once I lift my elbows and take the bar off the rack I'm finding a lot of the weight is being supported by my right wrist. I'm 6'4 and have long arms, so I'm having trouble keeping my hands above the bar like in some of the videos. I have my pinky on the outside rings on the bar. What suggestions would you have to help with this situation. Wider/ narrower grip? Shoulder flexibility? Thanks

I'd say most of the weight is supported by the "shelf" that is created by puling your shoulder blades together. From what I understand, it seems that you have your wrists set up incorrectly before unracking. It is essential for you to get everything right beforehand. Your pinky does not necessarily have to be on the ring, its just a general guide as to where you should grip initially BEFORE getting under the bar. After pulling your shoulder blades together, lift your elbows up, readjust your grip/ wrist positioning,now unrack.

From what I understand, your wrists should not be supporting any weight at all, just holding it in place. It sounds like maybe your grip is too narrow as you're a tall guy. Try also relaxing your wrist and adjusting it so that it's in line with your forearm.