starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Mechanics

Default Deadlift Mechanics

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was wondering if there was a point where the standard height of the bar was needlessly low in comparison to their shins and should be raised?

I am not trying to puss out of any hard work or anything, but I am interested from a bio-mechanics perspective, which is what I love about the thinking behind SS in the first place.

It seems to me that the range of motion of the Squat, Press, Bench, and Chin are almost exactly the same (not in actual distance, but in relationship to the various muscles' potential range of movement) for everyone because their starting and finishing points are relative to one's own body, but the deadlift's starting point is dictated by the bar itself with no regard to who is doing it.

In essence a short shinned person would have to do deficit deadlifts to match a longer shinned person's range of motion.

"Their shins?" Whose shins? Very tall people? They don't get their own equipment manufactured to their specs, you know.

I should have written "someone's shins". I suppose one would have to be at least reasonably tall for the the bar to be much lower than mid shin at the start of the deadlift, but I don't know that you'd have to be NBA height or anything like that.

I'm 6' 7" and quite aware that pretty much nothing is manufactured to my specs, but unlike the roof of my car I could set up the bar a bit higher for deadlifts so that it "fit" me like it does the rest of you gravitationally challenged folks.

Do you see any pros or cons to doing so?

It's fine with me. But don't enter a meet.

I think OP is wondering what the optimal height of a bar would for people of different heights. I've always wondered about this as well.

I stand 6'7 and I always pull from the floor, I've never really considered raising the bar height. By using proper form I'm able to pull decent numbers without any issues. One of my friends and training partners is 6'9 and just entered his first meet and pulled 265kg

Guys like us aren't really built for lifting per say, but it doesn't mean we can't do it the same as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by lankytunes View Post

I'm 6' 7" and quite aware that pretty much nothing is manufactured to my specs, but unlike the roof of my car I could set up the bar a bit higher for deadlifts so that it "fit" me like it does the rest of you gravitationally challenged folks.
    Being taller, don't you also come equipped with a matching set of longer arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I think OP is wondering what the optimal height of a bar would for people of different heights. I've always wondered about this as well.
    And different anthropometries as well. So, you want everybody to get plates that place their backs at 25 degrees?

If this keeps you up at night then pull with a deadlift bar, it flexes so the part you grip is higher than the middle of the plates before the plates even get off the ground. Get strong enough so there are many plates on the bar and the flex effect is even greater.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And different anthropometries as well. So, you want everybody to get plates that place their backs at 25 degrees?
    Rubber mats, maybe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast